Monday, June 8, 2026

Yes, He is Our Son

I wrote before about the night our son was born.

 https://travelerswife.blogspot.com/2012/01/born-on-way-up.html

Art has said before that it will always be one of his favorite memories. 

It was very late at night and we didn't quite make it perfectly on time to Great Lakes Naval Hospital in our little Volkswagen beetle. Contractions started around 10:00 PM. When we called the hospital, they said we had plenty of time and should drive up. 

When we arrived at the hospital at rather break neck speed, the people at the desk gave Art a wheelchair and told him to take me up to 8th floor. He told them it was an emergency, but maybe he was too calm...

Whatever the case, Keola was born in the elevator on the way up with only Art to deliver him.  We were told that our son was the first boy born at the hospital in 2 weeks! 


When a corpsman (medical assistant) brought Keola to us one day, we asked what his blood type was. We were told it was completely different from either Art or me. 

"What?!?" I said. "Is that even possible?" 

The corpsman said, "No." 

Hunh? 

OK... He was the only Asian boy born there at the time, the only boy in the ward. He's ours.

However, when we took Keola to an outside pediatrician who we really loved (and was recommended by Art's social worker cousin), Dr. Cibul rolled his eyes and said, "Of course, it's possible!"

I was talking about this with our daughter who didn't even know our granddaughter's blood type until KC donated her blood in college. I can't believe anyone wouldn't know their own blood type. Don't all pediatricians check for that? Or at birth?


Anyway, Tif sent me this chart to show how KC fell in line properly matching her parent's blood type.


And then when I mentioned how weird it was that his blood type wasn't the same as either Art or me, Keola sent this.

Ohhhhh Kkkkkk.... Of course Keola works in the medical field so he would send me something like this. Puhleeease... 🙄

Did he really think I would understand this?

Well... anyway... rest assured. Both our kids belong to us. 

25 comments:

  1. Good to know, I believe Keola haha-Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting! Our son as same blood type as me! And he must have English blood too, as an infant he looked like Winston Churchill! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And of course, Churchill was half American too.

      Delete
  3. Blood types always confused me, and still do. What an interesting fact and those charts!
    I hope you are feeling better from that nasty cold you got.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never understand detailed medical information either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My type is 0. I don’t know my parent’s types. I wish I did now. I hate to admit my ignorance but I didn’t know your child’s could be different. Well, maybe I did know, but forgot. As I did take biology in college. Betty Renfroe

    ReplyDelete
  6. How are paternity tests done if the child doesn’t have any match with the parents? 🤷‍♀️

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why would you even ask his blood type that soon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess since Art and I both have different blood types, we wondered which side he took after.

      Delete
  8. I had my third child in the hallway on the way into the labor and delivery department. I don't think anyone was taking me seriously. He just popped out! I felt bad because it was five minutes to 12 and the nurses had to send thier lunch back,. lol. My mom worked in admitting and they had not processed my admission yet. She had to put my admission in first and then the baby's so that he could be in the nursery instead of isolation. Fun memories! Science is a foreign language to me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perhaps they're more used to people making a lot of drama when it's an emergency. My late husband was like Art. He showed up in the ER with a bad cut he had wrapped; he was so calm that it was the doctor who panicked when he took off the wrap and the blood started spurting. I don't understand blood stuff either. I'm A and my husband was O I think our daughters are O or at least one of them is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter broke her arm. It was s-shaped between the wrist and elbow. I took her to the ER. A nurse did triage and sent us back to the waiting room. My daughter was physically ill from the pain. I tried to tell the nurse this. She would be seen in turn. I said' the kid has a broken arm, though... ' (mind you the nurse had not even pulled back the coat draped across her shoulders to actually view the arm. The nurse snapped, 'you don't know her arm is broken...' and I roared back, 'if her arm is NOT broken, I will kiss your ***!' The nurse looked shocked but pulled her coat back...and things moved very quickly after that.

      Delete
    2. Yikes, Debby! You're the opposite from me. Our son broke his right arm at 4 years of age and then his left arm at 5, falling off the monkey bars. It looked fine to me though when I picked him up at school. So I wrapped it with two rulers and string and took him to Great Lakes Naval Hospital. I told them I knew he needed another cast like the year before. I figured we could get him casted and home before rush hour. They took an X-ray and all hell broke loose. He had a floating elbow. His arm was broken in 3 places. They were worried his arm would not grow. Needless to say, he was in the hospital for a week, Art had to be called home from DC, etc. etc. The orthopedic surgeon had cancelled all her appointments for the day. And then I remember her slamming her little hammer on the counter because people weren't moving fast enough. I realized the gravity of the situation by then and my eyes started to tear. She looked at me and said, "No time for crying now, Mom. You have to be strong for your son." Wow! My memory is fading but that incident is still fresh in my mind.

      His arm did grow although when he did the back stroke in high school, you knew which arm had been broken.

      I didn't know of any other of his friends who broke bones. But now I see you and I have something else in common.

      Delete
  10. I assumed all my children are A like Barry and me - maybe not . . .

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know my blood type is O... can't remember why I know. DH doesn't know his.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't know my blood type. I asked my doctor and it is not on my chart. I was told that it is a very simple test.
    I am a bit curious about it because in Korean dramas, when they introduce themselves on a date, etc, they share their blood type info.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow, what an arrival! That's an interesting chart!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm O+ cuz I donated blood a long time ago and the blood bank gave me a card with my type on it. I've never seen a blood type chart like that busy one that Tif sent. FYI: Type AB and O parents more frequently create a newborn with jaundice. My son had it and was under bilirubin lights for 2-3 days. It's easier to be a cat or dog to donate to their fellow critters. I think the humans check blood type before big surgeries, just in case. Linda in Bleeding Kansas (history of Quantrill's raids into anti-slavery towns during / start of Civil War.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually it was our daughter who sent the one I could read. Trust my son to send something that made my eyes get hit with vertigo. Ahhhh... Keola was under bilirubin lights too.

      Delete
  15. I've heard this story before but it always surprises me. I guess to was a surprise to you at the time. :-)
    Interesting about the blood type. I actually don't know mine.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sometimes we are sent a problem for some fun.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great story! With our first my husband dropped me off at the night entrance to the big city hospital we were using and went to look for parking - no valet parking at that entrance? The reception person said someone would come walk me to labor and delivery and I said I didn't think I should wait so I started off on my own following signs and feeling excited and brave. Fortunately someone happened along with a wheel chair and said he thought I better let him drive, so off we went and just as we got to the right place a woman burst in screaming that her baby was coming right then so I waited again, and there was much consternation when I was finally examined. Then hours later a Cesearean - by then I was ready to leave and try another hospital!
    I too hope you are over your cold?
    Ceci

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ceci! Oh wow! You have a harrowing birth story too. And after all that a Caesarean. Yowch!

      Delete
  18. The warming pan baby, 20th century style? This is hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this...thinking about when my kids were born and the many surprises, both joyful and confusing.

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.