Wednesday, July 8, 2026

Finding Money, I Think

Art goes jogging VERY early in the morning before the sun is up. Invariably, he finds coins that people have dropped. It's usually pennies. If it's silver, he's quite excited, but it's quite rare. 

We have a good friend who goes walking in his town (he knows who he is, if he reads this) and he keeps find quarters and MORE... and  quite a bit of it. I told him he lives in a much wealthier neighborhood. 😏


Anyway, on this morning I was surprised to see a bunch of coins Art had proudly displayed on the kitchen counter before coming upstairs to take a nap before I woke up.

He said he found them on the roadway where a LOT of cars must have trampled over them. You can see that one side of the penny is hardly distinguishable as money. However, when you turn it over, it's definitely a Lincoln penny.

I uploaded the first photo to ChatGPT but it said I needed to upload a better photo so I did.


OK, so ChatGPT still doesn't think these are actually quarters and a nickel. I did show two photos for ChatGPT to try to identify them.


Hmmm... I'm going to have to disagree.

Then again... would a bank accept this? 😏

13 comments:

  1. A bank might exchange them for you and take them out of circulation. You have some rough drivers in Hawaii. I wonder if the salty air speeds up the coin crunching process. Probably not any old valuable ones. Hope Art looks up and ahead sometimes instead of looking down at the road so early in the morning! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  2. The degradation of the metal is amazing; I too wonder if salty conditions add to that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guess AI eyes aren’t as good as human one’s. I bet the bank would take the coins.

    Art gets more benefits from his exercise than this change! That’s a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe try them in a parking meter. At least you will get something out of them if the bank doesn't give you anything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When we had our electrical box replaced the electrician knocked out several circular pieces that looked just like yours and fed wires through them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Banks rarely take damaged coins so that is a toss up. The coin machine rejects them if they are damaged. When I worked at our local bank years ago we had a guy who spent his days walking around the town and finding coins to bring to the bank. He'd stop in every single day at the same time like clockwork.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess they go to the found money collection-Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. My bank would most likely as they don't take loose coins in bulk anymore unless you roll them yourself. The other bank in town that does take bulk coins has a machine that sorts on diameter and thickness so likely would accept them as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've picked up coins like the first ones. You know it's a coin but not much more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think they are interesting collectables. Th's worth more these days.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My mom was famous in the family for finding table ware on walks, spoons and butter knives mainly, and they were frequently very damaged like this. It was a mystery, how do such things get dropped along the edge of roads, in parking lots etc?

    Ceci

    ReplyDelete
  12. I used to find so many coins as a kid but since the supremacy of the credit card 💳

    No money 😔

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was an interesting us of Ai!

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.