Sunday, September 7, 2008

Aiea Soto Mission Zen 90th Anniversary Country Fair

Here's another outing that Tif decided we all needed to go to. It was a 90th Anniversary celebration for the Soto Mission Zen temple in Aiea. I was surprised at how much they packed into a small courtyard. They had a little farmers market, crafts fair, muffin decorating, entertainment, watermelon eating contest, plant sale, etc. I was surprised that it was actually raining...sort of. There's a joke that you can tell who the tourists are. When it rains in Hawaii, locals keep on walking while tourists run for cover. Rain here is usually light and short in duration.

There was a huge plant sale that included pikake (Jasmine), banana trees, coleus, sunflowers, ixoras, etc.

The rummage sale was a lot of fun. It was hard to stop ourselves from buying toys for KC since she and Tif would be leaving in just 3 days. It's going to be so quiet without KC's squeals and pattering feet around the house.

There was some Japanese dancing that we saw going on in the "basement" area.

12 comments:

  1. Kay... I love the photo of Art and KC looking at the toys together. It's hard to believe that Tif and KC will be leaving soon... has a month gone by already? :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun times and memories you have had with your family...soon it will be time to readjust and get better acquainted with your neighbors. That's great that your daughter is so interested in taking in community events, sounds like a fun activity to continue and share with us your blogging family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have loved this fair! It's my kind of thing. I bet there were orchids for sale, too, weren't there? Looks like a great family day, and I suspect KC did come home with a toy or two.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Be brave at the parting, dear Kay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That place looks packed indeed. Aww...we'll all miss KC =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. KC's fan club in the blogosphere will miss her frequent appearances just as you will miss her actual presence!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a wonderful time. I had to laugh at "the locals keep walking and the tourists run for cover". It sounds a lot like here in Cape May. Personally, I love the rain.

    You will so miss KC. I know that feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aren't you glad our kids make us get out and do things? It did seem like a blur sometimes when my kids were here this summer, but I have lots of wonderful memories and photos to look back on, and the grandkids have amazing experiences to take back home. Isaac is still drawing hydroplanes and container ships and ferry boats.
    The quiet will be hard to bear for a while, but phone calls and emails soon begin to fill the gap, and life getting back to normal isn't all bad.
    Just remember to get out and go and do even when it's just the two of you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to agree that your blogging family will still want to be going on some outings with you. It might help fill that space when you find yourself with more time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah... you and Linda will both have a little withdrawal to go through. But, what a great time you've had. And we've had a great time sharing in it with you.

    I remember the rain in Hawaii. I loved it. Walked in it, got soaked and was amazed at how quickly I dried out. I love your islands, Kay. What a joy it would be to have a closet full of t-shirts, shorts, summer dresses and flip flops. It wouldn't hurt me one bit to give my down jackets and winter boots to some hapless soul in Utah and move to Kauii.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too love the photo of Art and KC..so sweet...

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderfull time you have had with KC , lovely memories.
    Take care

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.