Saturday, October 2, 2010

The Mustache

I just read Gigi's blog about how her husband shaved his mustache off for her before they were married.

When Art and I were married, he did not have a mustache.


In 1978, we were in Hawaii and were aware that we might be enlarging our family.

Art had to return to Chicago to go back to work and I stayed a few weeks longer to be with family and friends.


When I returned, Art had sprouted this growth under his nose.
"How long do you plan to keep that?" I asked.
"I don't know," he told me.
Several years later I asked him again.
"Until I retire," he said.
After he retired, I asked again.
"I don't know," he repeated.


The funny thing I've noticed is that my two friends in Hawaii (who live closest to us) have husbands with mustaches, too. I wonder how they (my friends, that is) like it.

I guess Art wasn't thrilled when I cut my hair real short.

When I took another trip without him back to Hawaii (a few years after the mustache trip), he had the beginnings of a beard. I made him shave it off and I don't think I ever took another trip by myself again.

16 comments:

  1. Good idea. You never know what you might find when you get home. LOL

    Kay
    Alberta, Canada

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny! I really don't like facial hair on men, my husband included. But, I must say that some men look better with it -- especially men with incredibly small mouths or ultra-thin lips.

    I guess it is an individual thing.

    Art looked better without a mustache. Facial hair ages a guy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. funny, I don't like mustaches either but your hubby does look good in one...my husband's would be red if he grew it out but he won't...LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL. So that's why you always travel together now!

    In the photos without mustache Art looks like a teenager. Keep it, Art, keep it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A funny post Kay. I wonder what Art would look like in a beard? ;) Great photos, seeing you all back then.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Barry grew a beard for a while. He looked so severe and he took so much time each day trimming it that he soon grew tired and shaved it off. His father grew a moustache to look older. His brother had a very unattractive 'Father Christmas' beard, but has trimmed it in recent years.
    Don't you think all men with beards look roughly the same?
    I don't like beards!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I only remember Art with a mustache. He looks great both ways. When my computer is better, I will post a picture of Jim, with and without!
    Keep your fingers crossed for me
    about the computer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always liked mustaches -- maybe because as a teenager I was in love with Clark Gable who nearly always had one. Art looks great either way! I always love seeing your photos "from back then"! You're both delightful!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Christopher had a beard and moustache when we met. Then he tried removing the lot, but I couldn't get used to it so he grew the moustache again, but not the beard. I couldn't imagine him without it now, even though it's snow white, just like his hair.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I met Amoeba he had neither beard nor mustache, but I find I like both. I think for me the difference is in how well kept the beard and mustache are.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's doesn't matter to me although I tend to prefer clean shaven. That said, I wouldn't say know if Sean Connery called. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not fond of facial hair, but a trim moustache is far better than the scruffy, unshaven look popular with youn men today.

    Sounds like you solo trips were hair raising experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL-love your funny post! I think Art's moustache looks good on him. My husband doesn't have any facial hair and I like it that way!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lol...i think Art looks very good in mustache .Fun post...i am still smiling :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. He looks great with or without it! But you're right -- don't turn your back LOL

    I've had long hair all my life; I'm thinking of cutting it now but... but... I just don't know.

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.