I'm not sure what it is in our natures that make us want to collect things. Art and I are both guilty of this little pleasure. We don't collect expensive things, just things that somehow grab our attention.
I think it was because our son, Jon's college girlfriend was into snow globes that every time we went on a trip, we bought a snow globe for them. When they broke up, it took us a while to stop.
Our daughter, Tiffany was into frog things so Art used to bring back some kind of frogs when he had to travel on business.
We bought a printers box and found that thimbles fit perfectly into the little boxes so we started collecting them.
Every time we take a trip, Art manages to find a little pebble with a surface that he can write the date and place on it. These are just a few of his little rock collection.
Of course, in all fairness I have to mention my mug collection. All teachers probably have some kind of mug collection. This is ... ummm... a few of them.
And here's Art's t-shirts. He also has a stamp, quarter, foreign coins collection as well... somewhere.
Moving to Hawaii made us clean out a lot of our things and we are trying very hard NOT to collect anything else.
However, if I see a perfect, beautiful, unique mug... I think there's a teeny bit more room on the shelf.
Do you collect anything?
I think it was because our son, Jon's college girlfriend was into snow globes that every time we went on a trip, we bought a snow globe for them. When they broke up, it took us a while to stop.
Our daughter, Tiffany was into frog things so Art used to bring back some kind of frogs when he had to travel on business.
We bought a printers box and found that thimbles fit perfectly into the little boxes so we started collecting them.
Every time we take a trip, Art manages to find a little pebble with a surface that he can write the date and place on it. These are just a few of his little rock collection.
Of course, in all fairness I have to mention my mug collection. All teachers probably have some kind of mug collection. This is ... ummm... a few of them.
And here's Art's t-shirts. He also has a stamp, quarter, foreign coins collection as well... somewhere.
Moving to Hawaii made us clean out a lot of our things and we are trying very hard NOT to collect anything else.
However, if I see a perfect, beautiful, unique mug... I think there's a teeny bit more room on the shelf.
Do you collect anything?





He he Kay, you do have a large mug collection but I don't think it compares to Art's t-shirt collection. He has no room for more. So, that means its only fair that you fill the spaces on the shelves before you quit your habit. I don't collect anything unusual but I have to say I am into collecting pretty cups and sauces at the moment. The sad thing about that is my Dad's mother used to give me expensive sets when I was a young teenager. I wasn't very grateful at the time and must have got rid of them. That will teach me as they would be perfect now. Then there are my earrings from around the world - it would take me the rest of my life to wear them even if I changed pairs every day. Oh dear, what fun it all is.
ReplyDeleteWow, good for you for keeping it all orderly and seeable.
ReplyDeleteMe? I try to collect enough shekels to pay rent on my one-room house that fortunately has no space for collections.
Well, I DO collect the quills that the neighborhood porcupines lose. Does that count?
wonderful collections, I have a collection of mugs too, they take up a lot of space on the shelf!
ReplyDeleteI have a collection of teddy bears, but there are only a dozen or so. I haven't added any for years and keep my t-shirts down to a manageable number! Great collections you've got there, Kay.
ReplyDeleteI love the pic of your mug collection....they must all hold some good memories. I like to find Christmas ornaments, or something that can serve as a Christmas ornament, when I travel. It is fun to remember where they came from each year when we decorate the Christmas tree.
ReplyDeletewell...I collect books and haven't read all of them yet but someday...used to collect frogs so there are still a few of them around. Also I collect ancestor's information and stories and I never run out of them...lol!
ReplyDeleteWhy we do it is beyond me. I collect bells and statues of Mary. Ron collects silver, arrowheads, guns, commodities of all kinds. I own my mother's old shoe collection and haven't a clue what to do with it. Never tell friends and family what you collect or that is all you will ever receive from them for every occasion.
ReplyDeleteWhen I was a kid, I used to collect stamps through the mail, but not anymore. As an adult, I collect nothing, thank goodness!
ReplyDeleteI don't collect anything except some cheap jewelry on an auction site. Glad I bought some in 2002 when gold and silver were a mere fraction of today's prices. I don't like wearing jewelry so what I have collected will be given to my granddaughter one day.
ReplyDeleteL from W
Oh, like you there are a lot of things I used to collect. Now it's good art if I can get it cheep. Two patterns of Blue Ridge/Southern Potteries....lively flowery things that we don't often use. Russell Wright Iroquois dishes in white and cinnamon. Antique three pronged forks. Books....endlessly. I'm learning to read them and take them back. G and I think that it's because we were cut off from so much stuff that we collect things now.
ReplyDeleteAnd too....I like that red mug bottom right. :)
ReplyDeleteWe are really trying not to add to or start any more collections! I have tons of pottery now, and lots of kitchen utensil advertising pieces. I also have old American pressed glass and 6 or 8 old heavy porcelain baby plates. Our Christmas tree is loaded with ornaments we collect from traveling. Tom has watering cans and hose nozzles old lawn sprinklers. We have yard art and collect thrift store glass to make glass flowers. I'm probably forgetting something. We need help!
ReplyDeleteI'm not a collector, but I think it's fun to look at other people's collections.
ReplyDeleteI collect pots. I guess you could say I'm into pot or potted. Mugs we had a few, but gave them away to a retirement home which apparently uses them up. Ditto old garden mags. Dianne
ReplyDeleteI used to dry and save all the petals from flowers given to me by boyfriends/husbands. Now I have fun doing what my Mom did. I give my son Christmas ornaments based on the good things that happened that year. His collection is pretty big from his 25 years. DrumMajor
ReplyDeleteNo, 'fraid not. Our sons collected things when they were small - frogs for one, cats for the other, but neither Christopher nor I have a collection of any sort. That's an enormous collection of t-shirts that Art has.
ReplyDeleteI used to pick up a turtle or an owl wherever I went. Both animals are my "aumakuas" (Hawaiian for family totem) and speak to me. I can always remember where I was when I look at my collection. However, the magic is lost with anyone else but me.
ReplyDeleteAt one time in my life I collected mice. My Christmas tree was decorated in mice. Left all that in Texas. My son collects political stuff but we brought that collected to him when we moved from Texas. We're now without collections. Apartment dwellers don't have much room for collections.
ReplyDeleteremember airline silverware?
ReplyDeleteAloha from Waikiki,
Comfort Spiral
> < } } ( ° >
That's A LOT of mugs...LOL!
ReplyDeleteWe collect keychains from all the places we visit...