Sunday, October 21, 2012

Gutters, Downspouts and Rain Barrel, Oh My!

We've had a problem area on the roof of the house where the rain just flows off like a waterfall.  We've had gutter people here who tried to solve the problem, but it only made it worse so they had to remove the flashing contraption they put on.


Mom put buckets under that area to catch the rain water which she uses to water the plants.


Art has decided to try and solve this problem.  He says he's going to attach a gutter on the roof and then install a downspout that would flow out toward the street and into this rain barrel we bought at Home Depot.  The rain barrel wasn't cheap at $125, but we thought it looked like it matched the area.

He'll start this project the day after tomorrow.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it works.

31 comments:

  1. can't wait to see how this turns out! What will happen when/if the rain barrel gets full?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once the rain barrel is full, the rest of the water will flow into the downspout, through the herb garden and into the street.

      Delete
  2. Hope the solution works - it's no fun having lots of water in the wrong place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best of luck with this one. We had a similar issue. It cost several thousand dollars to replace the wall that had rotted. The ants were coming in through the hole, too. What a mess. I totally understand!
    Cheers from Cottage Country!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That seems like a lot for a rain barrel, but what do I know? I hope it all works out, Kay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can get cheaper rain barrels but they were bright blue or some other not so attractive color. We wanted something that large to be moderately inconspicuous.

      Delete
  5. Our water company offers discounts on rain barrels. We haven't taken them up on it yet, but maybe next year will be the year...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck to you and Art! I hope you are able to resolve the problem. Just thank God that you don't have our problem with carpenter bees. They have damaged our garage eaves. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those carpenter bees are working on our fence right now. It's only a matter of time...

      Delete
  7. Message to Kawika:
    I'm so sorry I had to delete your comment which I loved. You gave away a part of our address and we would really prefer keeping that very private. I hate being paranoid, but my family is extremely cautious about revealing where we live to the world. Maybe it's because my brother works for the Honolulu Police Department, but it's sometimes scary out here... even in what is supposed to be "paradise."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Kay I meant no harm. It just amazes me how smart your husband is. One of my favorite of his past projects was how well he duplicated the hand railing that was on the other side of the stairway. That IMO looked like a hard task to do.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for understanding, David. It's a sometimes crazy world we live in. The hand railing really turned out beautifully and I use it all the time. It feels like it was always there.

      Delete
  8. Projects that are problem solvers are the best kind!! I can totally grasp Art's enthusiasm!!

    L. from W.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only problem is that these side jobs prevent him from finishing the house renovation. We have baseboards and quarter rounds to still install. The renovation will probably not be done for another year or two. Granted, my job was the door painting and I can't seem to get myself going on that either.

      Delete
  9. Sounds like a plan. Hope it works out well. Rain water for plants is a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so cool! It WILL work because Art is a genius at what he does. Give him a hi-5 for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww... He'll be blushing when I tell him you said that.

      Delete
  11. Good luck with the project. It sounds like Art has it all figured out.
    We had gutter screens installed a few years ago, and although it was expensive, it was a good investment. No more cleaning out gutters, which was a big job with all of our coniferous trees. Our rain water runs into the ground from the rain gutters, and back into the water table. No run off.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Art is awesome!


    Warm Aloha from Honolulu- side
    Comfort Spiral

    > < } } ( ° >

    ReplyDelete
  13. We are lucky in that we don't have runoff or drainage problems. But we do have mice now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need some feral cats like we have on Oahu. Maybe there's a way to ship some to the Big Island.

      Delete
  14. Is your brother a police officer? (Just wondering in case I get in trouble on my next visit!) He seems too sweet. DrumMajor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, he works for the crime lab actually. I don't think he's ever wanted to be an officer.

      Delete
  15. I think your idea is perfect, and it will produce great results if done the right way. I agree with jabblog that "it's no fun having lots of water in the wrong place." Good for you to have a water barrel where you can store rainwater from the gutters. That will save you a lot in your water bills! :)

    Regards,
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Becky, I didn't see your comment until now. Sorry about that. I really love the rain barrel and we're thinking of installing another one if we can find a good place to put it.

      Delete
  16. That's a brilliant idea, Kay! The only problem with your roof is that it has no rain gutters and downspouts. And, installing those two would help you store enough rain water to water your plants, thus helping you save on your bills. Not only that, rain gutters can also prevent flooding within the vicinity of your home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually we do have gutters and downspouts on most parts of the roof. There's none there because it's part of a slope. Our biggest problem was the extreme winds here that kept working the gutters loose and making it rattle.

      Delete
  17. A gutter will definitely solve this problem. Just make sure that it is properly attach to the roof, and that it is directing water down to the spouts. Once it is installed, try to run water over it to ensure that the installation was successful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So you don’t have rain gutters and downspouts from the very beginning? The flashing contraption is not enough to protect your home from rainwater. You should have gutters to properly catch the rain and a downspout to carry the water down to the drainage system.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you very much, Lenore and Joanne. What Art did is working out perfectly now. It's being tested by all the rains we've been having.

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.