Sunday, May 26, 2013

Problems of Flying When You're Short (er)

One of the problems of living in Hawaii are the long flight times to get to Asia or the mainland U.S.

Being shorter my knees start to hurt and then there's that threat of DVT (Deep Vein Thrombosis).  This is the formation of a  blood clot in a vein usually in the legs that can travel up to the lungs.

Sometimes I'll pull out my backpack and put my foot on it, but it isn't the perfect solution.

Recently I found an inflatable footrest at Bed, Bath and Beyond for $16.99.  With my $5.00 off coupon, it was worth trying.

 I can't wait to try it on the way to China.

If it works, I'll get another one for Mom to use on our next trip together.

POSTSCRIPT:  (Written today on May 26th)

I am still so very jet-lagged and am madly going through our photos so I can start posting our trip journal in another couple of days.  I got up at 9:30 this morning and only because a friend called.  Good grief!

I had the inflatable foot rest ready to use in my backpack.  However, would you believe I didn't need to?  I swear the Korean Airlines seats are lower!  Art thinks it's my imagination but my feet were flat on the ground and my knees didn't start to hurt.  I'll have to see what the flights are like to the mainland later this year.
 

18 comments:

  1. What a good idea - nice and soft underfoot, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool idea. Can't wait for your review. I am stubby legged also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not short but still find I like to raise my feet and rest them on something. If this works for you, please let us know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you find the neatest things, so your Mom isn't going on this trip right?I thought it might be too much walking when you mentioned you needed conditioning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great find. I have the opposite problem. My legs are too long.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ditto, but it could be used for a pillow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I put my feet on my backpack, just as you said you do. It makes a huge difference in my comfort level. I look forward to hearing how this works for you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm short too and something inflatable makes a lot of sense. I hope it works for you and I will try it too later. There was a discussion of the idea of a footrest on the Fodor site. I bought a folding footrest from Magellan and there is one for sale on Amazon. It is heavier than I would prefer but it works.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's similar problems when you are taller....like me. I try and hang my legs out into the isles and do range of motion excersics by the hour. It was far, far longer to get there by ship, but it sure was healthier.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmmm...never thought about taking a foot rest on a flight. I need to stretch my legs level to the seat, doubt I would be able to do that with a foot rest sigh

    L...w

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a plan. I'm wondering if inflating it during a flight would scare the heck out of everyone. Even if you showed the attendant the photo, and told her you would later be blowing into a giant plastic bag, would they kick you off the plane before you even got seated? Sounds spooky security-wise.
    Yep, I've put my heels on my backpack during flights, too. Those DVT clots can go anywhere, lung, heart, brain. Walking/standing a bit in a plane, or doing leg exercises is a good thing to do. Also, the clot can occur even a week after flying.
    DrumMajor

    ReplyDelete
  12. My legs are long enough, but my back is the problem. I have an inflatable lumbar cushion that I use on airplanes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a great idea! Like you, I need something under my feet when I fly and use my carry-on. I am going to get one of these.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I sleep 3 am and wake up late the next morning since we came home on Thursday:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mandy! It's so wonderful to hear from you. I woke up at 9:30 this morning and only because a friend called. Thank you so much for writing. We were feeling sad about not meeting you all downstairs for breakfast and starting our day together. It's an adjustment.

      I'm going through our photos right now and should be starting to post about the trip the day after tomorrow. We had 18 GB worth of photos!!! YIKES!!!

      I'm so exhausted...

      Delete
    2. Sorry, I was the last one to wake up, not as early birds as everyone else. I'm glad I felt comfortable with this tour group. Good luck going through 18 GB of photos:) Hope to keep in touch.

      Delete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.