Friday, October 11, 2013

A Quick Look at American History



My friend, Jean forwarded this Moving Map of American history which I thought was really interesting.  I know Hawaii and Alaska were admitted to the union in 1959, but I was surprised to learn that New Mexico and Arizona were not admitted until 1912.  I thought all the other states were admitted before the 20th century.



One of the best capsules of the history of our country.  It's fascinating to watch the evolution of growth from the 13 colonies up to the present, with dates, wars, purchases, etc. included.  As much as you may know about American history, you'll learn something from this video clip.

This “moving” map of the country shows it from the beginning of the 13 states through to the present. It includes the acquisitions from England and Spain, the Slave states, the Free states, a segment on the Civil war; it includes some mentions of Central and South America , etc.

A great site, especially if you enjoy American history, but have forgotten a lot of what we learned in school. Turn on your sound, as the narration is a significant portion of the presentation.

Click on the next line. (When it opens, don't click on Go at the bottom ... click on Play at the top.)


http://www.animatedatlas.com/movie.html 
 Do check this site out.  It's only 10 minutes, but will seem shorter.  I think you'll find it quite fascinating.  There was sure a lot I didn't know or forgot.


19 comments:

  1. Really nifty interactive map. I'd forgotten lots, or was never taught.
    Okie students were required to take Oklahoma History in order to graduate from high school. I was surprised to learn that Missouri and Kansas didn't require their students to learn state history. Lots of things happened in Okieland: lots of bad guys, cattle rustling, mistreatment of Indians after they walked from Florida and the East, retracting federal agreements with the Indians and taking the rest of the land. Oil really fluffed the state with money. It's the only state capitol with an active oil well underneath it. The red dirt throughout the state is said to be the blood of Indians lost, hence Oklahoma is the "Land of the Red Man." Oklahoma was admitted in 1907, which is fairly late, considering all the activity and admissions surrounding it.
    The parking meter was invented by an Okie.
    Is there a test next week?
    DrumMajor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops; even Oklahoma's center of state government is a capital, not capitol. DrumMajor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops again, got some coffee: Capitol is the state headquarters; a capital is a letter in uppercase. Hoo Boy, I'm getting senile. DrumMajor

      Delete
  3. Makes you wonder if we'll ever get another state. I guess Puerto Rico is the only chance of that happening.

    I did find it funny to hear conservatives in Colorado wanted to secede from the state (to form their own) because they lost control of the State House there. Talk about side-stepping the democratic process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was quite interesting...by the way I am a born and bred OKIE!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love history now but when in school, it was boring...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. will have to check this out and share. Thanks Kay!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just watched part of it, but I too learned a lot. When I get home from work, I will watch the rest. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thank you so much for posting this. I am an Okie and part Choctaw Indian. I had relatives on the Trail Of Tears though I am 80% European. Having been to Virginia and visited Williamsburg and other historic Eastern landmarks of the Civil War, this really came together in my memory and I hope many will share this with their family. I know there wasn't time for everything but the land rush into Oklahoma in 1889 was an event that could have been shared. My grandmother was born in 1889 and always said the Land Rush happened to make room for her:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too, love history but as you said, I forget it. (Along with a lot of other things). :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. A wonderful tool. Historians are getting animated with technology. We call it Clio wired after the muse of History. If it inspires kids, all the better. Thanks for sharing this. Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really liked this, and like you learned new things while reviewing things I had forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great tool for our son to use. Mahalo for posting this Kay!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoyed teaching, when so many of these intriguing sites were available to us to help teach or reinforce concepts!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That was fascinating. What a great teaching tool. Too bad it hadn't been heard of when I was in school. Thank you for posting this. I will probably watch it again later.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great refresher for those who love history. Hope it become a widely used teaching aid.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Interesting! You always find the neatest things to share! :-)

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.