Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Black Friday

Yes.  Yes.  I have to admit we did go out on Black Friday at an ungodly hour.  It's just that the NEX (Navy Exchange) was having such a great sale that we couldn't pass it up.

Besides, it was an adventure of sorts... and we do still want to support our economy.

We woke up at 3:30 AM and arrived at the NEX around 4:30. Art felt we needed to get there early because the parking lot would be full if we came later.

I know it's called Black Friday because that's when the merchants' profit margin is once more in the black, but I'm beginning to think it's so named because it's pitch black when you get out to the stores. 

"Let's just wait in the car until the 5:00 opening time," I yawned hopefully.  "Maybe I could just take a short nap."

"We should go and see what it looks like out there first," insisted Art.


What a shock!  There appeared to be more than 200 people already lined up.  Uniformed officers and sailors were on duty to make sure everything was orderly and it was.  Everyone was warned NOT TO RUN.  Since this is a military store, we figured there wouldn't be too much of a problem.  Everybody is expected to behave themselves and they did. 

We sauntered right in, picked up our things and walked out happily.  Unfortunately, I noticed that the cashier forgot to charge us for a couple of things so we had to go back to the customer service to make the additional payment which didn't take that long.  All in all it took us only half an hour and then we headed home.

We considered eating breakfast out to celebrate, but we till had turkey and pumpkin pie sticking to our ribs so we continued home to have our cereal.


The blue box is a KitchenAid stand mixer that I'd been coveting, but didn't need.  However, it was such a good price that Art treated me to it.

The big box is for mom.  I know she'll be surprised.

I thought we should put the tree up next, but took a nap instead!

So did Art.

25 comments:

  1. We usually do Black Saturday (or that's what we call it lol) since most of the sales are going on all weekend and the traffic is about 50% less. But I have done Black Friday as well and it's actually lots of fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only did Black Friday like that once. I still wear the clothes I bought then. It was fun but I agree, it's hard to get up that early, even though I'm an early riser. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shopping at the exchange is different than shopping at those awful stores that pay poverty wages and then taunt people who have little money with ridiculous deals. I hate the consumerism, hate the way it belittles us all and also read on consumer reports that many of these deals are not what they seem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did my shopping online. Many deals to be had….too many!! Dianne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have the problem of shipping costs to Hawaii. Sigh...

      Delete
  5. Holy cow! You got up earlier than I did!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't usually do Black Friday shopping but this year I did go to the mall with my daughters. (well, they went at 6 and I got there about 7:30). I did find some good prices on little things and it wasn't too crowded.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think I'd get up that early for even the best bargain ever! I've always wanted a KitchenAid stand mixer, so I'm very envious of you. I look forward to seeing it once it's opened up and in use.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did mine on-line; hate crowded places, but many folks know the NEX is a good deal! Might as well stay up late to shop vs. an alarm clock in the middle of the night!
    DrumMajor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I wanted to stay up until 3:30 though. I hate getting up in the mornings, but I need a little sleep or I'm really crabby. Just ask Art.

      Delete
  9. No black Fridays here, it started earlier but we don't shop...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am the worst shopper EVER!! I do all my shopping on line and have always found good deals and most often get free shipping!!

    You are a good wrapper!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you! That big box was a challenge.

      Delete
  11. If I don't have to work on the day, I usually stay home. The chaos is too much to deal with for me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can see getting up early if what's on sale is something you really plan to buy. That's not usually the case with me. And here the best deals were on Thanksgiving evening, which we refused to do.
    I do approve of the KitchenAid mixer. I have had mine for more that 40 years, and it's still doing what I need it to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did a lot of cost research on the stand mixer and mom's gift before we did this crazy thing. Hoooowver, Art DID get carried away and bought a Nutribullet for Tif to use in Hawaii when she visits. This is one thing that we found out later would have been cheaper to buy at Bed Bath and Beyond with a 20% off coupon... By maybe $2 or $3. Ah well. We had fun anyway.

      Delete
  13. Oh, and from the looks of your header, you got your tree up! We still have that to do, plus more outside lighting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAE! Yes, it's up, but we haven't done much else. Tsk.

      Delete
  14. Now that's my kind of Black Friday shopping :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think you deserved a nap after getting up and facing the crowd. In fact you deserve more than a nap..... how about a medal?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Is that really a giant bow tied out of the wrapping paper on the big box?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't find a bow that would be big enough in proportion so yes, I did make a pretend one. You are very observant, my friend.

      Delete
    2. Well, a giant unusual bow is hard to miss. I'm so impressed by your original ideas.

      Observant? Maybe that's a leftover from my proofreading/editing days.

      Delete
  17. Your Black Fridays have been creeping north!

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.