Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Senior Fair Fun!

We decided to take Mom to the Senior Fair even though she'd already gotten her flu shot.  There's a lot of exhibits there with some freebies that add to the fun.  Art was the one who felt she needed to get out of the house into a different environment to stimulate her mind.  He's a wonderful son-in-law.


I think we've usually gone on Sundays in past years.  It was never this crowded!



One of the first booths we stopped at was Travelon which sells a lot of travel aids.

Several friends had mentioned compression socks as being great to prevent DVT (deep vein thrombosis).

Mom's legs swelled up horribly when we got back from Hokkaido.

I figured I'd try them out first and then get some for mom before we take her on another trip.

The stockings were $22.

I looked that the RFID shielding wallets, but decided to wait.

Art bought some travel laundry soap which was really super compact.


Mom enjoyed watching dance presentations.  We know the one on the right is Japanese, of course.  However we couldn't figure out the one on the left.  It looked like Chinese or Mongolian.  We couldn't be sure.

HMSA is a health insurance company in Hawaii.

They had us post what made us happy.

I said, "Seeing my granddaughter happy."

Mom said, "Living with my family."

Art said, "Jogging."

Then they gave us free reusable bags that fold into a strawberry shaped bundle.



At the traffic booth, we took the pedestrian pledge and learned that jaywalking in Hawaii is not $75, but $130!  It's also illegal to start crossing a street once the signal starts to blink.



Here's a photo of the In-flight stockings I bought.  They're not as tight as I thought they would be.  I think they'll be quite comfortable.

You can see how compact the laundry soap we bought is.  It's good for 50 washes in a hotel sink.






And here are all the freebies.  There were Vitamin B12, Alka Seltzer, Aleve caplets, packets of lotion, the reusable bags, blinkers for walking in the dark, a little flashlight, and rain ponchos.

We then took Mom for a short visit with her sister and had a noodle lunch before going home and taking a nap.

Ah yes... This is the life of a senior.

31 comments:

  1. It does look awfully crowded. And although I've never worn those socks, I hear they work very well. You made off with some good stuff, Kay. Mom looks happy, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nice you can go and enjoy that together: Mom as the senior senior and Kay and Art as the junior seniors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for senior's life, what a lovely outing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The dancer on the left is southeast asian, perhaps Lao.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like lots of folks wanted to see what the Senior Fair had to offer and it looks like your mom had a good time. It would be interesting to me to see what they thought seniors need to have, see and know about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that photo of your smiling MUM!!

    One thing that I have had before on a long flight but I forgot to get them for this last trip but wish I had had them: earplugs!
    The plane was so noisy it made me feel very uncomfortable. I think I could have slept if not for the noise. Oh! And the drunk next to me split his champagne all over me too, that tends to wake you up! HA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bring noise cancelling earphones which has worked pretty well for us. Hmmm... ear plugs, hunh? Sounds like a great idea.

      Delete
    2. Yes, we use the noise cancelling earphones for the music and movies...but when I want sleep, the earplugs are the best! Oh, and I just thought of a movie that I saw the plane, it had Emma Thompson and Pierce Brosnan in it, I love them both! Their characters were Richard and Kate, close enough for me! HA!

      Delete
  7. Heeeey, interesting!! I think me and Wendell should check this out next time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You two are really taking care of your mother really well and she must be happy to go to this fair. Sorry if this is a very personal question but may I know how old your mother is and what is her secret of longevity? Please ignore this question if I am out of line here to ask this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom is quite happy to tell anyone that she is 84 years old until this fall when she'll turn 85. I think her secret to longevity has to be eating more vegetables and fruits, staying away from fast food as much as possible, not smoking, and especially the daily exercise. She also tries to keep her mind active by reading and writing letters to her siblings in Japan.

      Delete
    2. Wow, I wouldn't believe it, she does not look her age and thank you for sharing it and the secret. :)

      Delete
  9. The jaywalking fine is really a lot. What happens if you are halfway across the street when the lights start to blink? Do you turn back or should you run for the other side? and will you get a fine?

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so funny. Yup, those naps creep up on you.
    I always wear compression stockings....sometimes all the time. Our CVS pharmacy has an isle that's called "as seen on TV"< and there are black stockings that are 9.99. :) There must be something comparable over there. Or google them.
    Your mom looks so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lots of goodies from that little trip!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Freebies make my wife's day. Crowds and fairs? I can stay away from them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Real compression socks from the doctor for DVT are almost impossible to get on one's legs in Hawaii. That was my experience, anyway, after my hip replacement. I think it's the humidity on the air that makes them to just slide on. They were more trouble than they were worth, so far as I was concerned. The ones you are picturing are probably just snug socks. If they're comfy, go for it. One thing that might help is walking up and down the aisle when you feel like it. That's why I always get an aisle seat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about the snug socks. They are actually quite comfortable and don't feel like they're compressing much. We'll see. Art already had some and said they were so tight that it was hard to get on.

      Delete
  14. That sounds pretty fun for free.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Art is a hoot! May he jog forever. A fun day. Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  16. You all are the best kids to your Mom. How sweet of Art to think of her, not too many son-in-laws would.
    Her smile lets you know the day was a success.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fun day for your mom. We have them but I've never gone..... maybe because I don't have a neat son-in-law like Art to encourage me to go. lol

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was going to guess the other dance might be Hmong, though I could be wrong

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your mom will live a very long life with so many people caring and watching over her health and safety. And what goes around comes around :) Your children will do the same for you two one day!! (Lately, I've been so pensive and introspective...agggh)

    L...w

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be difficult for our children to watch over us since our son would probably be overseas and our daughter lives in Chicago.

      Delete
  20. I need to look for that compact laundry soap. It looks like you all had fun at the fair.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Even as the "younger senior," I betting Art wanted to see the fair too, eh? Sounds like a fun fair.
    Be sure and call and/or mention Mom's leg symptoms and how fast they resolved when you see Mom's doc next. Support socks for various symptoms come in various compression strengths, hence why most of the ones docs want patients to use cost around $35 to $40.
    For the rest of us, just getting up and marching in the aisle or going to the bathroom and walking around the plane, marching in place, about once an hour is good for preventing DVTs.
    To put them on: don't roll, but fold them from the top down, put your foot in, then unfold the socks up your leg. You don't want any creases or crimping folds because that will diminish circulation. Nurses and aides usually work up a sweat just trying to get them on patients, even with the unfolding method.
    If Mom has frequent leg swelling, and elevating pillow at night is great. She probably ate a tad more salty stuff on vacation too, which can cause temporary leg swelling in some folks.
    Cheers, DrumMajor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did mention it to the doctor a couple of weeks ago and he said she must have been eating salty things in Hokkaido. It was the first time this happened and was rather unnerving. Thank you for the folding method. I'll mention it to Art since he has a harder time. His compression socks are much tighter than mine.

      You're absolutely right that Art wanted to go to the Senior Fair also.

      Delete
  22. A nice lot of freebies. The socks sound like a good idea for flying.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I pondered each item with interest then got to your closing line of "life as a senior' and laughed aloud. lol

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.