Monday, March 30, 2015

Carry-Out vs. Restaurant Zippy's Saimin

I'm afraid this post is geared more for Island locals, but then again... should you decide to come to Hawaii and try this local favorite, it would be good for you to know.

Saimin is a local noodle favorite and everybody has their favorite place to get it.  Lately, we've switched from Shiro's to Zippy's with Shige's (Wahiawa) in between.

Last week we were in a rush so we thought we'd grab a carry-out saimin.  We ordered the large size with extra garnishes.  Yes, it was only $3.60 (I think), but it was pretty darn small.

I didn't see much garnish so I asked them about it.  They said that the extra garnish for 43 cents was two more slices of fish cake.  Seriously?

This isn't an accurate photo because I took the above photo after I'd already eaten half of it.  I wasn't planning to do a post on this.

The broth was also very tasteless and frankly, it was bad saimin.  We'll never order take out saimin again even if we plan to eat it there.

The bottom photo is what I usually order.  It's a small size saimin in the restaurant for $4.45 plus extra garnish and is more than enough.

I can't understand why the broth should be different.  Don't they make the food in the same kitchen? 

Ah well... I've learned my lesson. 

30 comments:

  1. How interesting that the take out is so different. I will have to remember that. It looks pretty. Thanks for the visit and have a great week Kay. It is good to be back posting. I have missed visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kay, you would definitely thing the sauce would taste the same whether for carry out or eat in. But I'm amazed at the price! I haven't seen anywhere you could get a meal for that price here Stateside. We were just commenting the other day that even the McDonald's seems to be going up in price. We don't eat there very often, so I guess it doesn't effect me that much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't eat out often, but just yesterday I had a nice bowl of soup with sourdough bread for $3.50, and it was delicious! I was so pleased to have it as an alternative to fast food, which I rarely eat. I do wonder why the takeout was so different from the regular. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks more healthy than hamburger and fries takeout....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't the broth made from bone marrow? In saimin, the broth is very important as it carries all the various flavors. I had a favorite place when I lived there decades ago, but cannot remember the name right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Art's parents owned a restaurant and he says they used fish stock and even threw in shrimp shells and whatever was available. Hmmm...

      Delete
  6. Hi Kay! I'm always looking for healthier travel food! We spent 26 days in Honolulu, and that is one expensive place. We found lots of alternatives to save money. One local favorite which was neither healthy or cheap, but to die for, were fresh, warm malasadas from Leonard's Bakery on Kapahulu. I heard about it a few weeks before we went to Hawaii from a blogging friend in Australia. I make myself walk to and from the bakery to have one! Terry said he knows where Zippy's is on the way to Leonard's, so we'll check it out for sure next March! And eat it in! Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. sorry you got bad saimin but now i have something new to make and try! i can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  8. that does seem odd but it looks good in the last picture. i love noodles, pasta and rice!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I tend to like the Zip Min at Zippy's the best. I eat it in the dine-in restaurant only, because it is not offered in the take out section. I also have the 10% discount card for seniors.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bad day, maybe? Now you got me ono-ing for some Sekiya saimin. That's my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was going to UH, Sekiya's saimin with 2 barbecue sticks was my favorite.

      Delete
  11. Here we have the OB Noodle House. Big favorite. We loved their food, but the music is so loud you can't appreciate it at all. They are so popular that they bought a small restaurant near us where they make their broths and saucers. The bottom one looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum! I've had Saimin at Ken's in Hilo and Tex's in Honoka'a, both decent. Haven't been to the new-ish Zippy's at Prince Kuhio yet. Have had a homemade version as well. So good on those wet East Hawaii days.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I believe Zippy's takeout is S&S saimin for their convenience. The one in house may also be S&S but the broth may be enhanced in their kitchens' pots instead of just having hot water poured into the styrofoam cup with the powdered dashi.

    I like Sekiya's saimin too, but when I want tastier (imo) saimin I go to Hokkaido Ramen in Kaimuki. I love their shio ramen. Their cold ramen is really refreshing on a hot day.

    Now I am getting hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kay, it is completely different food from P{oish one but I would like to taste it

    ReplyDelete
  15. Someday I may get lucky enough to check out your lovely island. If I do, I will enjoy your heads up. That is a great price however. Interesting about the difference. No logic that I can see.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Okay, now I have to get to Hawaii so I can do the taste test for myself. Not to imply that I don't trust you, just that I need an excuse.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I should write this down so I know what to try and where to go.

    ReplyDelete
  18. *Sigh* I LOVE saimin! ...but that was before I decided I had to cut my salt intake down. Now I'm reading labels and its so difficult to buy even canned veggies without some degree of salt. So, unfortunately Zippy's is safe from me. But, a few years ago Zippy's changed their menu (well, not really); the menu stayed the same but the prices went through the roof for some reason. Their prices are now comparable to a nice sit down restaurant like Hana Grill or something... so we haven't been going there much, lately, there are better options at better prices. In high school it used to be the default place to meet due to their being open 24 hours; but nowdays, I'm trying to break the record for sleepiest guy on the planet.

    love,
    walt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sigh... You're a youngster, Walt. We didn't even have Zippy's when I was in school. Sigh... We used to eat fried saimin at Leeward Drive-In. I think. Art is always reading labels, but he's not too strict when it comes to saimin. Prices are really going up. Have you seen the Yummy's prices? Sheesh! Oops! Lots of salt there too though.

      Delete
  19. You truly never know what happens in the kitchens

    ReplyDelete
  20. Kay, the same thing happened to us recently in January. We were ono for wonton mein on the way back from the airport and stopped at the Kapolei Zippys. The take out container was so small, the broth bland, and lukewarm (ate right there). Not to mention the wontons were tasteless and lacked filling. My husband was so disappointed, he said never again.

    L...w

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it weird that in the restaurant, it's totally different? I wonder if there's a place to write to them to let them know it's pitiful.

      Delete
    2. So glad you wrote about this because it's been awhile since we had saimin in the restaurant...husband thought it strange saying he doesn't remember the saimin being like that at all. Now at least it's confirmed...

      L...w

      Delete
  21. I'm not clear on who makes the good VS the tasteless Min.......probably my poor eyes.... Inquiring minds WANT to know.. Is Shiro still better than Zippy's??????



    ALOHA from Honolulu
    ComfortSpiral
    =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to like Shiro's and still do, but they use nappa and we like the greener choi sum at Zippy's. Zippy's also had more garnish. We're talking about the restaurant now, not the take out. I just wrote to Zippy's to let them know.

      It's been such a long time since I ate at Sekiya's. Now I'm wanting to go there and try it again.

      Delete
    2. I have never eaten saimin. We always had Chinese or Indonesian food. My favourite is bami, but I bought it at the local butcher's, who has a very good reputation. I was very disappointed, for it was not what I was used to have. There was only a little bit of meat and vegetables in it.
      Thanks for your visit, Kay!
      Wil, ABCW

      Delete
  22. The last photo looks delicious and colorful. We don't have this exactly in northeast Ohio, though perhaps I just don't know what is available. We have a lot of Asian restaurants, though. When I was growing up there were only a few Chinese restaurants.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's so hard to get authentic international foods in some places. We have a new restaurant, however, with a real Indian chef! He's a lovely man!

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.