Monday, March 23, 2015

Kunia Orchid Show

For many years Mom has enjoyed growing orchids; so when someone offered us tickets again to the  Kunia Orchid Show, we really had to go.

The Kunia Orchid show is actually at the Leilehua High School gymnasium in Wahiawa.



There was an endless variety of orchids.

Mom spent a lot of time looking at each type of flower.

Mom kept pointing out orchids that she felt we needed to take a photo of.





I enjoyed the flower arrangement display even more.

I was surprised to see these plum or cherry blossom twigs.  I wonder where they got it from.

This display had a Mardi Gras theme.



Are you getting over saturated with orchid photos?

Just a few more to go.

There was also a bonsai display.

Mom was skeptical that those were real tangerines on the tree.

I'm sure they were real.  They certainly gave Art hope with his lemon trees.


Yup!  There were also anthuriums!  Mom pointed out that black one which I didn't care for, but lots of other people were captivated by it.


What a surprise!  Hawaii's governor, David Ige was there enjoying the orchid show with his wife so we got to take a photo with him.

What a fun Saturday!  I wish I had Flat Stanley with us.




33 comments:

  1. I did a double take with that last photo. If I didn't know better, I would have thought I was there. The lady in the back, far left, looks just like me until I blew up the photo to a larger size and saw that she is asian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh.... I see what you mean. She does look like she's got red hair. You can see the governor's wife on the right.

      Delete
  2. Absolutely gorgeous! It gives me hope that the seven inches of snow we got last night were just a blip on the approach of spring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great show and such beautiful, colorful plants and flowers!! A fun day indeed!!! Thanks, as always, for sharing the fun and beauty!! Have a great new week, Kay!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A fine day out and I particularly like the Bonsai. So where's Art?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's there. You can see him in several photos with Mom.

      Delete
  5. That was a real treat. Never get tired of orchids!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could look at this all day, lol, beautiful, you need to start carrying flat stan with you everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid Flat Stanley has already been mailed back to Chicago for our granddaughter's project.

      Delete
  7. Flat Stanley missed a good show.
    The little orchid I was given three years ago is setting blossoms again this spring. I was going to stake the blossom stalk this year and find it must be trained that way almost from inception. It's a tough piece of vegetation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kay,
    Mary Ann and I had talked about going to this orchid show a few days before the brunch. We had such a good time meeting everyone that we forgot about the orchid show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ron! Thank you so much for your comment. The governor's wife went on Friday and loved it so much that she brought the governor on Saturday. It was fun seeing him. You and Mary Ann have to go next year.

      Delete
  9. Kay , in Poland we grow orchods on the windowsills they look grreat

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never get tired of looking at orchids, such incredible variety. And I can see why Delaine thought that was her! It's more than just the red hair. And it's always great to see Mom looking so well and happy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. amazing colors...love the bonsai trees!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You sure look great with the gov! He seems very down to earth.
    I bought one of those black anthuriums. There is some trick to them, because after a couple of years the flowers are now just plain red.
    Anyway, I finally got around to fertilizing my orchids, so I'll have some of my own blooms to photograph pretty soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Orchid blooms are so strange and weird and wonderful and beautiful!
    Looks like Mom and you all were having a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What lovely flowers they are. Someday I will take the plunge. My father was quite the orchid man. All that beauty and hobnobbing with the governor also? Nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very nice pics especially the one taken with the governor. It's good to see the governor mingling with his constituents at an orchid show...shows he's not too busy to be a citizen!!

    L...w

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He actually turned and told me, "Hello, I'm David." It took me aback because I figured everyone knew who he was. However, he was very nice and appeared to be interested in all the flowers.

      Delete
  16. I loved seeing your photos. Also, it is great to see your mom enjoying it all so much. Oh, and the photo with the governor was great also. Did you tell him he could see his picture on your blog? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I didn't get to tell him. He's such a sweet, warm fellow, very unassuming.

      Delete
  17. Who could resist an orchid show. What a bonus when you meet the Governor! I would think your Mom is very up on everything about orchids.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Not enough flowers at all. Lovely stuff. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful! Love Ikebana, aka the art of Japanese flower arranging. A dear friend knows how and has made some gorgeous arrangements through the years.

    ReplyDelete
  20. To heck with Flat Stanley, I wish you had had me with you:-) Oh how I love orchids AND bonsai trees.

    ReplyDelete
  21. whoa, making me a little bit hungry! (yes, I am combining vegan and bonsai humor)...

    hahhahhahahha,
    walt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of vegans starting in our family. We're trying to reduce our meat intake, but it's hard to do away with it completely. Did you know that Yumiko is a vegan chef?

      Delete
  22. Posing with the Governor! I'm impressed. Good on him.
    I do like the bonsai more than the flowers. You have such nice things to go to, Kay. It's a good life.

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.