We were at the Open Market (Hawaii's farmers markets) where we often shop for our veggies, bananas and papayas for the week.
We go to different farmers for certain fruits or vegetables. This is the stand where we always get our papayas. The farmers moved here from Thailand many years ago.
We get our bananas from the sellers who are from the Philippines.
This must be the season for beets. Notice how fresh the leaves are? We love to steam beet leaves and eat them with just a tad bit of mayonnaise. Art eats his plain. And yes, we eat the beetroot itself too. Art says his mom used to put the beet leaves into her meatballs which added a bit of moisture. It's not often we get beet leaves that are this beautiful. I'll be looking for them again next week.
We go to different farmers for certain fruits or vegetables. This is the stand where we always get our papayas. The farmers moved here from Thailand many years ago.
We get our bananas from the sellers who are from the Philippines.
This must be the season for beets. Notice how fresh the leaves are? We love to steam beet leaves and eat them with just a tad bit of mayonnaise. Art eats his plain. And yes, we eat the beetroot itself too. Art says his mom used to put the beet leaves into her meatballs which added a bit of moisture. It's not often we get beet leaves that are this beautiful. I'll be looking for them again next week.
And just a splash of shoyu. Low sodium, of course.
ReplyDeleteWell we live and learn. I never heard of eating beet leaves. The beets sold at our Farmer's Market don't look at lovely as those.
ReplyDeleteWhen I used to work produce departments, I'd always laugh when people complain about the cost of bananas. I think ours was like 65-70 cents a pound. Most other things per pound were much more than that, even on-sale prices were like 99cents or more. Shows that human nature is often never happy
ReplyDeleteI think they are the best part! But I do eat the root as well. My neighbor seems to be growing enough for an army in her plot. She says she pickles them. :-)
ReplyDeleteWhat a great tip!
ReplyDeleteSteamed beet leaves, have to try this simple recipe! How many minutes would you say and do you chop them up?
ReplyDeleteI couldn't remember how long since I just wait until it's soft so I looked up recipes and got this online:
DeleteBring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the beet greens, and cook uncovered until tender, about 2 minutes. ...
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in the garlic and red pepper flakes; cook and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Boil or steam beet greens for a simple low-calorie side dish:
DeleteBring water to a rapid boil in a large pot adding salt (use 1½ teaspoon salt to 1¾ quarts of water), and cook the stalks first for 3-4 minutes, or until tender. Then add the leaves and cook for another 2-3 minutes uncovered. Drain, season with salt and pepper and toss with a little butter or olive oil for a simple salad to serve immediately. Add something tart, such as vinegar or lemon, if desired.
If you are serving the beets with the greens, arrange the beets in a ring and serve the greens in the center. Dress with melted butter or Horseradish sauce.
To steam, put the beet tops in a steamer basket and steam for several minutes until tender.
Darn! They don't tell you how long to steam either. I know I stay close by and watch until it's soft enough because it's too hard for mom unless it's cooked long enough.
Thanks Kay, it's worth a try, steaming I mean.
DeleteI am the only person in generations of my family to appreciate beets, top to bottom. Consequently, I have not enjoyed them since I quit cooking, forty years ago.
ReplyDeleteI love beet greens. Mother used to serve her's with a vinegar.
ReplyDeleteWow! I love hot buttered beets that my Dad used to make, with a tad of salt/pepper. Never thought of eating the leaves! Must try. Seems like spinach preparation to enjoy them. Thanks for the info. I would love to visit that market. I'd get a papaya from ABC for each morning when on the Islands. Along with 3 different kinds of poke in my little fridge, I ate fish for 9 days straight! Found a good poke place in K.C. A new little restaurant has blended Vietnamese and Hawaiian offerings in order to stay open. The owner says his Mom has a restaurant in Honolulu. Linda stuck in Kansas.
ReplyDeleteI've eaten beet greens for years. Often I plan to grow some actual beets, but we end up eating the greens before the beets develop. The greens are much sweeter if eaten before they have a full-grown beet attached to them! A little butter, a little vinegar, and YumQ
ReplyDeleteGoodness, I am huge on beet bottoms but never tried the tops. We live and learn and I will try.
ReplyDeleteBeets are ey good as borscht soup. I've tried the leaves but don't care for them. I grow my own beets.
ReplyDeleteI like beets...also beet greens...looks yummy!
ReplyDeleteWe often eat beetroots with grated apple and oinons (also grated).For a dressing I use lemon and cooking oil or mayonnaise. Now I shall try to eat the leaves as well. It sounds yummy!
ReplyDeleteWe love both the greens and the roots of beets. That's one of the vegetable we grow in our little garden so we can have them fresh. I like mine with salt and butter.
ReplyDelete