One of the items we bought at the Kakaako Keiki Swap meet was this t-shirt for our grandson.
I was looking through the pile of clothes and only noticed the flying koi. I figured it was a Boys Day t-shirt. I liked the colors and seeing Hawaii on it. I didn't really, really notice everything on the shirt.
After washing the clothes we'd bought I finally looked at the t-shirt carefully and saw that it said Kamikaze. Under it were the words go for it. I looked at it as almost encouraging a little boy to commit suicide. It affected me viscerally, perhaps because mom has told me so much about the tragedies of those awful times in history.
Art didn't realize what was on the t-shirt either, but wasn't as strongly affected as I was when he realized what it portrayed. I showed it to my brother and sister-in-law this afternoon and they shrugged it off saying the design was beautiful.
I couldn't understand how something that bothered me so much didn't bother everybody else. It made me understand how our country is so divided right now. We're all looking at things from a different point of view and coming away with a totally different idea of how things look.
I still don't like the t-shirt, but my brother and sister-in-law say they'll take it for their grandchild. It's fine with me.
I was looking through the pile of clothes and only noticed the flying koi. I figured it was a Boys Day t-shirt. I liked the colors and seeing Hawaii on it. I didn't really, really notice everything on the shirt.
After washing the clothes we'd bought I finally looked at the t-shirt carefully and saw that it said Kamikaze. Under it were the words go for it. I looked at it as almost encouraging a little boy to commit suicide. It affected me viscerally, perhaps because mom has told me so much about the tragedies of those awful times in history.
Art didn't realize what was on the t-shirt either, but wasn't as strongly affected as I was when he realized what it portrayed. I showed it to my brother and sister-in-law this afternoon and they shrugged it off saying the design was beautiful.
I couldn't understand how something that bothered me so much didn't bother everybody else. It made me understand how our country is so divided right now. We're all looking at things from a different point of view and coming away with a totally different idea of how things look.
I still don't like the t-shirt, but my brother and sister-in-law say they'll take it for their grandchild. It's fine with me.

It would have been fine if it hadn't placed the word kamikaze on it.
ReplyDeleteI agree that it is beautiful, but it makes light of something that was terrible, even if long ago. I agree with Marcia.
ReplyDeleteI am with you, I totally could not give that to anyone after realizing what it referred to.
ReplyDeleteI bet the shirt was designed by a younger person who had no idea of the significance of the word.
ReplyDeleteI doubt it, especially with the go for it added to it.
DeleteI agree with you. A little unnerving. Hmmm. Wonder if he can wear it to school, especially being of part Asian decent. I agree with Kathy G; designer probably didn't know the full history of the kamikaze pilots. Your grandson may learn some history a little sooner than Social Studies class.
ReplyDeleteLinda in Kansas
The shirt would affect me, too. I think it's sad others around you were OK with it.
ReplyDeleteThanks for your kind words about costumes. G will look terrific, and I worry about the shoulders on mine. LOL
ReplyDeleteYes, I thought the design good too.
You are a sensitive soul and I celebrate that. As of others, they make their own choices with my blessings
ReplyDeleteI like the shirt but I would somehow cross out that one word, maybe see a life of black cloth over it? Something offends me, I get rid of it! Sew a cloth, meant to say!
ReplyDeleteI like the shirt --and would never have thought about suicide, but that's just me... We humans all do have our own feelings about certain things --mainly because of our experiences in life and probably our ages... I find that I get upset about things which don't upset my kids at all.... There's a commercial (Bookings.com) that portrays a school teacher standing there allowing the kids to throw things at her and at each other and basically to disrespect each other and the teacher... That commercial drives me crazy... I hate anything allowing kids to disrespect adults NO MATTER WHAT... My kids say that the commercial is just in jest---showing that the teacher needs a break (using Bookings.com) from her job..... DUH...
ReplyDeleteHugs,
Betsy
I totally understand your hesitation about giving this t-shirt to your loved one. I feel exactly the same as you. I hope it doesn't take you as long as it would take me to get this out of your mind. :( Siiiigh...
ReplyDeleteI remember talking about WWII and how wonderful Japan turned out as a society after the war once their old right-wingers were ousted out of power. Some racist white lady said "if you gave them the chance, they'd do it again".
ReplyDeleteI Googled to see if there was maybe an innocent urban use for the word today but there isn't. I'm like you--as attractive as it is, the message is awful.
ReplyDeleteI think I might not have made the association, but once you pointed it out, I do think it is unsettling.
ReplyDeleteI get where you come from. My mom who lived in Japan during WWII told me about what happened to them and their neighbors. So when Americans are 'rah rah rah' about WWII I remember the tragedies that happened to the innocent ppl of Japan. It's a perspective many do not have here, so WWII is colored for me...but that's just me and I don't expect other to feel the same way. ITA for many of the younger gen, the World Wars are so far removed from it, they don't understand that some symbols are still very powerful for those who know...they just think it's 'cool'. Or unfortunately they deny them like the Holocaust and the Swastika. -BB
ReplyDeleteIt is a mixed message but I see, "Go for it Hawaii!"
ReplyDeleteIn a way, kamikaze was a very honorable Japanese attitude - if it could be called an attitude. Maybe symbolizing bravery and loyalty to whatever code they believed in.
ReplyDeleteHowever, now I don't like the shirt either.
Its understandable how and why you felt the way you did about the t-shirt. Greetings!
ReplyDeleteIt is a great design, but the message is confusing, for sure.
ReplyDeleteIt is a good example of how people react differently, usually based on our experiences. Or in this case, you mother's experiences.
I understand your quandary Kay. I have bought shirts in the past that have had a message that I only noticed later. I felt uneasy and would not give it to the intended recipient. I couldn't return because they were on sale so they went into the rag bag we keep for spills in the garage.
ReplyDeleteI understand your point. I agree.
ReplyDeleteEven more confusing for me is the emblem on the airplane, and the painted mouth on the plane makes me think of U.S.A.A.F. planes in WWII. They would not be "go for it Kamikaze". I am inclined to think it is someone with a computer program that just picked out mismatched words and symbols. I have no idea what the fish is supposed to represent. The only relation between kamikaze and Hawaii, would not be a happy one.
ReplyDelete