Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Phishing?

Whenever I get any comment that says, "Nice blog. Come and visit mine." or "Great blog" and then the link to their blog, it makes me quite suspicious.

This time I got something from Indonesia. A foreign (sorry to say) Indian sounding name also makes me get my spamdar buzzing.

Wikipedia lists phishing as:
Phishing is the fraudulent attempt to obtain sensitive information such as usernames, passwords and credit card details by disguising oneself as a trustworthy entity in an electronic communication.



I clicked on his name and got this. Looks like it's some kind of insurance (?) thing or could it be something else?

Whatever... I just erased it. Better to be safe than sorry.

21 comments:

  1. I get a lot of those too -- from Anonymous and almost always in response to some old post. I have a setting that sends any comment to a post that is more than two weeks old sent to my email address and I delete them without opening. I wonder if these phishing expeditions look for certain words in a title because I typically get a bunch around a specific title which is a couple of years old now.
    Always something to watch out for and larceny in the hearts of far too many.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sometimes look at my stats to see the page views and where they originate. There's one url that brings views that I don't recognize and I made the mistake of clicking on it once. It was a porn site. Now how did my blog get mixed up with that? Remember the Mumbai commenter? I bet that's the connection. I found that an old posting on crows was generating lots of views so I deleted that post. I still get spikes of views and it makes no sense why. But like you I don't post the strange comments that come in and report them as spam.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would never click on any links even ones to unsubscribe as they could be dangerous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's wise to be cautious. Got that Mumbai one too. Busy fellow wasn't he, they?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to get lots of those kind of comments on my blog too! I thought they were just peoples doing blog walking, but phishing sounds scary >_<

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have only had one phishing expedition on my blog and it was finally deleted after about a week. I put a comment under it that said, "delete this comment". It seemed to work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And I had added a person on my blog that I had intended to follow but after she used some bad language on her blog, I took her off my list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I get those too and usually just mark as spam and they disappear. Sometimes I wonder if I am rejecting a legit person from another country but it is best to be safe and not to expose our readers to possible problems.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always delete them, after marking them as spam.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If they sign a note anonymous or Link to a very old blog entry, I list them as spam. Once in a while I go to the spam folder and delete them all. I get about one a day now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always block something that is over-the-top praise and no substance.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Like everyone else, I always delete them, after marking them as spam. After a while I go back and delete everything from the spam box.

    Those things are so annoying and frustrating because when I check back on my latest post and see I have another comment, I get excited.

    When I find out it's spam I get annoyed, such a time-waster!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I got many of them, particularly in my old posts. Some of them have been deleted forever.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Come to think of it, I do believe the entity who was sending me offers of girls from Mumbai may have finally given up!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I think you're right that they're gone. They were persistent.

      Delete
  15. I've become mush more cautious when it comes to suspicious comments and emails.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, I get these too. And I am glad that the Mumbai spam seems to be gone. You are right to delete those after marking them as spam, Kay. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I delete them too, it’s sad we have to be so suspicious but it’s a necessity in this world today,

    ReplyDelete
  18. They'll have to be super clever to fool me. Usually it's a phish and a miss.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes, there is so much spam. You have a popular blog, and by linking to yours, it raises their profile.

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.