Thursday, January 23, 2020

Biscoff and Speculoos are the Same Cookie?????

My son-in-law really likes the Lotus Biscoff cookies they give out on air flights. Therefore, I would always take it and save it in my backpack to give it to him in Illinois.

Well, on a recent flight, I got so hungry that I ate it even though it wasn't chocolate.

Sorry Eddie... Anyway, I rather liked it. Maybe it's because I was hungry.


Anyway, this Christmas our neighbor gave us Trader Joes' Speculoos cookies and I discovered that they tasted about the same.

Hmmmm....

I decided to look this up online and found this on Wikipedia:
"In Europe, Lotus Speculoos is the most recognized brand. In the United States and United Kingdom, the same company is branded as Lotus Biscoff. Several chains of supermarkets have started their own product under their generic name. Speculaas is often produced under local bakeries' brand names as well."
No kidding?

I wonder if my son-in-law knows this. He probably didn't want to tell me thinking it might hurt my feelings since I've been so diligently collecting the Biscoff for him thinking they were something special.

Ah well... I think I'm going to have some for dessert tomorrow.

15 comments:

  1. Don't tell him. I find it hard to do nice things for my SIL! He is so independent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, keep saving them. It is the action that brings pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of them so of course I Googled them. I see that they are a spiced shortbread cookie or biscuit (if you are English). Keep saving them for him, if you can resist eating them yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. nowadays it's hard who makes what. walmart is pushing it's own brand of everything almost in their store.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recognize the Biscoff from plane trips but I didn't know about the others. No doubt soon there will be a knock-off recipe on pinterest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shortbread cookies are my favorite. I'll have to see about finding some of these. At least you know where to find them now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow never knew that! I fell in love w/ Biscoff a long time ago when I was on an airline and ordered from their online store. They didn't have it in stores at that time here, but now Walmart sells it. My absolute fave commercially made cookies -BB

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ummm, interesting information, Kay. I've never heard of Biscoff or Speculoos Cookies. I learned something new here today. Thank you for the introduction.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never heard of them either. Never had them on a plane. It looks like chocolate, but reads cinnamon. Must try to find. Sounds addictive. Nothing outshines love like cookies from Mom! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here in Hawaii, Biscoff is often on sale at Longs/CVS!! When it's on sale, the Biscoff cookie butter (smooth or crunchy) usually is specially priced, too! So yummy!

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandy! So nice to meet you.What? Longs too? That’s amazing! I shall have to look for them. Thank you so much!

      Delete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.