Our son is a new home owner and has jumped into home repairs despite his heavy work schedule and two young boys to whom they are careful to give lots of attention and unstinting affection.
However a couple of months ago their bathroom shower faucet developed a leak. My son tried to figure out how to fix it, but decided that since we were coming, he could rely on Art to fix it.
So what did Art do? Yup. YouTube. He took the handles apart as directed.
Once he knew what part he needed (sort of) we drove to the closest Lowes but the expert helper there couldn't be sure what was the appropriate part without knowing what the brand was... which we didn't know. These photos were taken from YouTube since Art didn't realize I might write about this on my blog.
The following day, Art and our son took the part itself to Fergusons which is a plumbing store. The salesperson there looked up the part and was able to tell them it was a Delta brand.
It was this teeny spring and washer that was apparently the source of the leak. Art replaced the springs and washers of both the cold and hot water handles (making sure they were going in the same way they came out) and... Voila! The steady leak stopped.
The following day, I overheard our 4 year old grandson, JD telling his mother. "You know what, mama? Grandpa is really, really smart."
However a couple of months ago their bathroom shower faucet developed a leak. My son tried to figure out how to fix it, but decided that since we were coming, he could rely on Art to fix it.
So what did Art do? Yup. YouTube. He took the handles apart as directed.
Once he knew what part he needed (sort of) we drove to the closest Lowes but the expert helper there couldn't be sure what was the appropriate part without knowing what the brand was... which we didn't know. These photos were taken from YouTube since Art didn't realize I might write about this on my blog.
The following day, Art and our son took the part itself to Fergusons which is a plumbing store. The salesperson there looked up the part and was able to tell them it was a Delta brand.
It was this teeny spring and washer that was apparently the source of the leak. Art replaced the springs and washers of both the cold and hot water handles (making sure they were going in the same way they came out) and... Voila! The steady leak stopped.
The following day, I overheard our 4 year old grandson, JD telling his mother. "You know what, mama? Grandpa is really, really smart."



Perhaps we should sponsor a visit :)
ReplyDeleteI went through the fix the faucet in the shower a couple of years ago and it can be very frustrating, especially the running around part to get the right part. In response to your embedded comment problem is one that I ran into and resolved by going into the Security/Privacy settings and unblocking Third Party Cookies, I wrote a post about it last night. I prefer the embedded comments, so I am willing to have a little less privacy, others might not. :-)
ReplyDeleteYes he is really smart and keeps going till he finds the answer. Yep, a keeper.
ReplyDeleteHope you don't mind, Kay; But I love Art!
ReplyDeleteSo cute, and so true!
ReplyDeleteThat little guy is pretty darn perceptive .
ReplyDeleteHe is the sort of person that the term "Jack of All Trades" was made for. Congratulations on having that leak fixed so perfectly and so cheaply. Just think what a plumber would have charged! :-)
ReplyDeleteThere's lots you can do to repair things. Yes, I go to you tube and many shops are very helpful.
ReplyDeleteI love grandpas that are that smart. We eed more people in the world that are confident enough to fix stuff. I also think it is nice to pay people that need such work and that is what I do.
ReplyDeleteArt is really, really smart, and he looks pretty pleased with himself too.
ReplyDeleteGood old YouTube fix-it videos!
I think Art comes from a generation of do it yourself-ers.
ReplyDeletehow sweet grandpas can fix anything...I know!
ReplyDeleteHaha and so is your grandson!
ReplyDeleteOut of the mouths of babes...JD is so right. Grandpa is very smart, so is JD. He gets that from you and Art.
ReplyDeleteLovely post … so cute and so true …
ReplyDeleteAll the best Jan
I hate plumbing, I never understand it.
ReplyDeleteYou know...he's right! Grandma IS very very smart! '
ReplyDeleteAnd so is Grandpa!!
ReplyDeleteCute little boy, seems he just knew about his Grandpa :)
ReplyDeleteI'm impressed. I gave up plumbing about a month after I bought my first house, about 40 years ago, after I spent a bundle on all these new tools and then bungled the job so badly we had to call a plumber anyway. In my defense ... that was before youtube.
ReplyDeleteHow precious! You both are lovely examples of smart grandparents!
ReplyDeleteLinda in Kansas
Awww... Thank you, Linda!
Delete