Monday, May 18, 2020

The Lions of the Art Institute of Chicago

I saw something online about the lions outside the Art Institute of Chicago.


Here we were walking toward the Chicago Art Museum a long time ago.


The famous lion statues have been dressed up in past to celebrate Chicago glory.

In 2005, it was the White Sox World Series win.

In 2016, it was the Chicago Cubs' amazing World Series miracle. (I still can't believe it.)



And now, here it is.

The lions are masked with the flags that represent Chicago.
"The Chicago flag consists of 4 red stars with 6 points each. ... The first star on the left is to remember the Great Chicago Fire of 1871. The second star represents the World's Columbian Exposition of 1893. The 3rd star commemorates the Century of Progress International Exposition of 1933. The 4th star added in 1939 represents Fort Dearborn."

They've even masked the famous Picasso sculpture at Daley Plaza in the Chicago Loop.

I wonder if there's a statue we could mask in Hawaii.

We do have this King Kamehameha statue in front of the AliÊ»iolani Hale building in Honolulu.

Well, maybe not.





OK...

How about the Duke Kahanamoku statue in Waikiki? 

I'll bet the Duke would approve.


POSTSCRIPT:
Never mind. Art just showed this to me.


Somebody already thought of it.    

12 comments:

  1. These masks are an interesting statement of the times we are in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Statues around here are masked too! I was glad to see all masks at the Giant grocery yesterday evening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How funny got to do something to keep our sense of humor during these challenging times...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the ball hats but the masks are so appropriate today. Hey, we have to keep them safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy seeing the Statue of Liberty with a mask on the Trevor Noah show, too. I enjoyed seeing the baseball hats! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay seeing that mask did make me smile :) BTW, that's a terrific pic of you & Art!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Since I've only visited Chicago one time while in high school, I don't know much about it's history, other than the fire started by the cow that kicked the lantern while being milked. My initial thought was "why do they have face masks with stars that look like China or North Korea?" As you described, I guess the Chicago folks know what they symbolize. Thanks for the education!
    LOVE Duke's Hawaii mask. Hmmm, not sure I'd put one on the King, maybe in gold or feathers like on their ceremonial cloaks.
    Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun ways to promote mask wearing are a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Masking the statues seems like a good idea to send the message in a entertaining way.

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.