
1. We set out free stuff on our sidewalk much to the delight of the road construction crew. They kept coming over and walking away with lots of things that would have just been added to the landfill during the Thursday garbage collection. One guy said he'd just bought a house and could use all of Art's tools and nails, screws and bolts. It was hilarious to see a huge tractor stop in front of our house so that the driver could come and look at the offerings. He may have left with the bike.

2. My dear friend, Lisa arrived to say goodbye. Lisa and I started teaching together some 24 years ago. I leaned on her more than anything else because I'd just returned to teaching after 12 years at home raising my two kids. The one fond memory I have is that winter day when I'd gotten in an accident and called the school to tell them I would be late. Lisa was in the office and overheard what had happened. I was in the police car a bit dazed and feeling rather subdued. The police officer was being kind. He had me sit in the back so that I could stay warm. What Lisa, who lived in the city at the time saw was me sitting in the back seat with my head bowed. When I raised my head I was surprised to see Lisa standing there in the snow in her boots because she'd come running over, jumping over snow drifts. She was tapping on the officer's window and shouting that he was not to harass me and that he needed to watch what he was doing. I was so startled that I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. I had to stop her and tell her I was just fine and she didn't have to worry. That's a friend in a million who would battle the police for you!
3. Tif and Art cleaned out the garage. What a job THAT was!

4. Our Anniversary dinner friends invited us to a farewell dinner. We make it a point to see each other at least once a year to celebrate our mutual January wedding anniversaries. We've known them since we moved to Chicago 34 years ago. It was very kind of them to provide us with a sumptuous dinner since our kitchen is awfully under equipped. They have been our surrogate extended family here in Illinois.
It really sounds as if your plans are going along well and on time. You are going to miss all your wonderful friends aren't you? But what an adventure it's going to be.
ReplyDeletePrecious shot of little girl with Free stuff....puts you to thinking, or is it remembering?
ReplyDeleteYour first photo of the little girl by the 'free sign' makes me smile for last week I had done the same thing with a lot of children's books. It was fun to watch people go by, stop, and then leave with a book. One little girl and her mother stopped and while the little girl sat on a chair I had put there as well, her mother read her a story. So sweet!
ReplyDeleteAlso that was a wonderful friend story that you shared.
Your grand daughter is so adorable as she sorts through the free stuff. She's dressed to the nines. What wonderful friends you have, to stop by, invite you to dinner, etc. This week is especially poignant for you, I'm sure.
ReplyDeletehey, missed you yesterday-wondered how long you can keep blogging and still be packing, moving and cleaning. it will all end soon but what wonderful memories to take with you on your new adventure returning to your homeland and new experiences to treasure...
ReplyDeleteGood onya Kay and family!
ReplyDeleteI've scored most of my work clothes that way, on my street. hehe. So much easier than shopping.
The next 4 days will go incredibly quickly. You have made many lovely friends, I'm sure they are sad to see you go, but happy that you are happy.
ReplyDeleteWill you be gone before your daughter's family moves in, or will you help them move?
You have a beautiful family. Glad I found u. Niki
ReplyDeleteI loved the mind movie I got from your description of the construction crew "shopping" your free stuff.
ReplyDeleteGood luck with the move, I wandered in from aussiesnan blog. Your posts are bringing back the recent move from Australia to Nova Scotia me and my family did with the big yard sale we had to get rid of literally everything we owned. We didn't get the shipping container... Next time.
ReplyDeleteHi everybody,
ReplyDeleteI just wanted to let you know that I'm dying to check out all your blogs and answer. There's some new friends to be made here and I can't wait. However, I'm barely able to get my post out each day and now that I've made that commitment to do this until we leave... I'm making time to somehow just get this in. When I get to Hawaii and set myself up, I'll be looking forward to catching up with all of you! Thanks so very, very much for the moral support!
"The best things in life are free"-and Lisa sounds like a keeper!
ReplyDelete