Tuesday, September 9, 2008

What Aloha Means

Aloha has a lot of meanings. I suppose it's sort of like Shalom. It means Farewell, Hello and Love.

Tomorrow will be a day of Aloha. How could it come so quickly? Tif told me tonight during our evening walk that it seemed like we had such a long, endless time together. And yet, they'll be leaving tomorrow and we won't be seeing them until January.



KC had fun with her great grandma this morning on their last day together for a long while. Great Grandma gave her an orchid to play with and KC held on to it for a good long while just enjoying its beauty. She loved tagging after Great Grandma to see what she was doing and find ways she could help.



Our evening walk was very poignant. KC visited all her favorite flower bushes and seemed to want to gently touch each flower and leaf that fancied her. Tif said, "You're collecting your memories, aren't you?"

I was collecting memories also just watching them and taking photos to sustain me after they leave tomorrow. How will I bear it?

14 comments:

  1. "Collecting memories" is a wonderful, poignant phrase. And January will be here before you know it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh, Kay...emails, phonecalls, sending colorful postcards to KC thru the mail...I'm still thinking!
    God bless you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It will be difficult to say goodbye because you've had such a memorable time together, but January will come quickly. Aloha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh you are going to miss them so much, but you've got lots of photographs to play with - do you make scrapbook pages? And by the time you've set up all the available technology, including web cams, it'll be nearly January.

    ReplyDelete
  5. absence makes the heart grow fonder, just keep the link strong between you. you can send taped book readings for her to listen to and see her on your web cams. It's a marvelous world we live in. Focus on what you can do instead of what you'll miss. Blink your eyes and Jan is here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Photographs sustain us. And now that he is old enough to understand, I send emails to my grandson, printing out what I want to tell him in big, colorful letters. He answers me, dictating to his mom. And if you have a Flickr account, there are 60 second videos to send.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kay;


    These stages in life are not for sissy's... that's for sure!

    It's great that you have a trip to look forward to soon and before you know it... Jan will be peeking around the corner waiting for you to build new memories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Kay..my daughter has gone home and I don't know when I will see her....it is hard to say good-by

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Kay!!! I'm so sorry. I hate to say good bye - if even for a short period of time. It does not seem short on the day it begins. You are blessed to have had the time you did.

    Stop by my blog to pick up the award I have for you when you can. My thoughts will be with you over the next few days, Kay.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just noticed the orchid in KC's hand when I enlarged the top photo. Gosh, what a precious picture! Hang in there Kay, January will be here before you know it. :)

    By the way, I have an award for you on my blog. Stop by and pick it up when you have a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I got tears in my eyes reading your post because I experience this separation too often myself.
    When grandchildren and children live far away it's feast or famine.
    I'll be thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Kay...
    On departure day my Naomi always asks me not to make a scene, for the kid's sake; but I have yet to find the button on the body that turns off tears.
    There is a spiritual saying that might be appropriate here:
    "Embrace the suffering."
    Lots of love and empathy to you, and a big hug.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you all of you for your cyber hugs and friendship. It means the world to me.

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.