Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Being Poor

Gigi wrote in her comment yesterday:

"It puzzles me when you say your parents were poor when you were a child. Yet, your mom lives in a nice house in a good neighborhood, now. How did that happen?"

Thank you, Gigi for giving me my post idea for today.

It really is because of my mother. Although she grew up in a very comfortable home, the war years, full of death, starvation and worry shaped the rest of her life.


I spent the first five years of my life in an isolated rented plantation home in the middle of a sugar cane field in Kunia (deep country). I have no idea where our closest neighbors were. I have some nice memories of that time chasing geckos, grabbing fresh water eels in the ditch, playing in a lot of dirt.


However, that home was too far from school so we moved to another rented plantation home (Camp 57) where I could catch a school bus. (This is me in front of that house.)

All the while, my mother saved every penny she could get and lived as frugally as was possible. She learned to sew and made all our clothes (including my underwear). Then she began sewing for others. It was not easy for her since she came from a rather privileged background so she reinvented herself.

She had someone read the English words in picture books to her and she transcribed it into Japanese phonetic letters so she could read some books in English to us.


Eventually she felt that house was still too far in the country so when another house closer to school opened up, my mother grabbed the opportunity. This photo is of my mother and brother in front of that third house. Once Dennis and I were old enough, she found a job at a newspaper company. She can still find mistakes that other editors miss in Japanese language papers.

We never ate out at restaurants. She still sewed all our clothes and even my father's work shirts. Every car was driven to the ground. We never traveled anywhere. As I said, there were few toys. She knew where all the sales were. She still does. I recall my homework desk, chair, globe and a lot of other things came from Gold Bond stamps that she saved. We didn't have a lot of books, but my mother bought us a set of Encyclopedias which my brother and I read every night under our bed covers.

My mother put their money into Money Markets and conservative bank CDs where it grew.


(This is my brother with his wife holding Tiffany at the back of that house.)

Then the opportunity arrived to buy a home. The plantation was planning to burn down all their rental housing so they built homes elsewhere and gave the workers a chance to buy the new homes for a very reasonable price.

My mother finally withdrew their money and bought their first home.

Then the neighborhood began to change. The neighbors had about a dozen cars some how squeezed into their small yard and street front. Art and I actually stood there once and counted. Their other neighbor conducted loud church service and were constantly trying to convert my parents.

Therefore, about 10 years ago, she took the equity from that home, added to it with even more of her savings and bought this present home.

And now, after building a second floor on it, Art and I will be buying it from her this coming week. She has loved passing on all the utility bills to us each month and just enjoying her house without worrying about maintaining it.

After all those years of scrimping and saving, she has a granddaughter who keeps sending her presents, grandsons that come to see her, family all around, food on the table, her own TV, tons of books, Art and I taking her traveling every year, her son always watching out for her. She says she can hardly believe how happy she is, how lucky she is.

I think she's made her own luck.

24 comments:

  1. I am always thankful that my current comfortable situation is built on the hard work of my parents and grandparents. When I wrote yesterday that my parents were reasonably well off I was thinking of my teenage years. When I was a young child we were very hard up, my father was working during the day and studying at night whilst my father stayed at home to look after me, taking occasional jobs when they needed extra money for unexpected bills. My grandparents were all extremely hard up, as were so many during that era, but worked hard to ensure that their children could have a better education and a better life. We've benefited so much from that, and I sometimes think that it's a shame that our own children don't have a greater understanding of the hardships that their grandparents and great grandparents went through in order to ensure a better future for their own children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely story and tribute to your mom-hope you read it to her. our parents and grandparents all knew how to work and save before buying. No debt or credit cards in those days. We owe much to all our ancestors for we have built upon their lives and contributions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wonderful pics. And we never had to lock our doors back then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what an amazing story! Mahalo, Kay.

    It's surprising what saving one's money can get one. Looking for sales, buying quality over quantity, being frugal and investing wisely -- that is the start of building a fortune. My maternal grandparents learned that secret and died millionaires -- whereas my paternal grandparents did not and died paupers.

    God bless your mother!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your mother has truly earned her comfort and support. The hard times have not embittered her, either. She sounds a lovely and determined person.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Inspiring story, of a wonderful mom and wonderful kids

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an inspiring story, Kay. Your mother sounds like a wonderful person. I'm glad she is enjoying her life now. She reminds me of Nanny, my mother's mother, who grew up in a privileged family but, after she was married, had to learn to make do with what little they had during the Depression. My mother knew what it was like to be poor, but Nanny made sure she always knew she was loved and valued. That love carried over to us after we were born, and to the next generation as well. We are all so grateful to have had such wonderful grandparents, as I am sure your mother's grandchildren are to have had her. Thank you for sharing this beautiful story.
    -- Kay, Alberta

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very nice story and what a compliment to your mom. She deserves a lot of credit for the success of not only herself but her children as well. What a great lady.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. I loved this story, Kay. Your mother may have come from a rather privileged background, but she sure learned how to scrimp and save and work hard to make a better life once she was in Hawaii and had children. She should be extremely proud for what she has accomplished, but I suspect she demurs if anyone tries to compliment her on her amazing achievements. (We had the World Book Encyclopedia, which I loved to read.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kay, thank you for sharing your wonderful (and your Mothers) story with all of us. We should all be thankful for what we have and never take anything for granted! I'm glad your Mother lives with you and Art, she has accomplished many, many things in her life and she is around people who love her. You and Art have a beautiful home and I'm glad you have what you have!! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you are right; she has made her own luck. The American dream has always been for the children to do better, and live better, than the previous generation. But our relative ease is built on their hard work, and we are the lucky ones who have enjoyed the fruits of their labor as well as our own because of having that work ethic instilled in us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great tribute to your very industrious and caring mother! She is the best example a child can have! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is wonderful that you were in Hawaii and not on the Mainland, where your family might have ended up in the detention camps.
    It was hard even at that, I'm sure, but the efforts your mother and so many others made led to the current comfort and prestige of Japanese-Americans. I'm glad her family gives her full credit for her achievements.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree that she has made her own luck. What an inspirational story. We could all learn a lot from your mother.

    ReplyDelete
  15. If I have not said this before, I have certainly thought it -- your mom is an amazing person. Despite harrowing hardships, she survived and built a strong, loving, well-balanced family. I am certain that is as much a testament to her faith as her personality.

    You have done an excellent job of honoring and caring for your mother. I see her strength of character and will in you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful, amazing woman your mother is!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a heart touching and inspirational story...your mom is incredible !She looks beautiful in the picture .
    So much to learn from her life and yours too !

    ReplyDelete
  18. Life is a series of events, and it is interesting to read about the different accounts of friends. I enjoyed your history, Kay. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Kay -- thanks for sharing. Was your Mom or her family moved to any of the dention camps in Hawaii? DrumMajor

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oops - that's "detention"-- I shouldn't spell incorrectly on a teacher's blog, eh? DrumMajor

    ReplyDelete
  21. A beautiful and well deserved tribute to your Mom, Kay! So many people have no idea what it is like to live on such a tight income, let alone be able to save enough over the years to finally be able to buy that special home for her family. Most of us have no idea what it was like for people like your mother during those very dark days. She is a remarkable woman. I love the picture of her! How beautiful she was and is. And you and Art are so wonderful to her -- as she deserves. You are all definitely people to look up to and I do so admire you. Thanks for sharing such an inspiring story of your family. Hope you all have a beautiful day!!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh Kay, what a tremendous post. Your Mother is an amazing lady. I admire her greatly.
    An English Girl Rambles

    ReplyDelete
  23. Drum Major: It was on the mainland that everybody was moved to Internment Camps, mostly California. In Hawaii, only people who were highly educated or influential leaders were interred. My brother actually found a document online about General Patton's Internment List that he created between 1935-37, before the war started that already had my (zen priest) grandfather's name who was then working in Molokai to support victims of leprosy who were sent there. Apparently they "interred" most priests, reporters,etc. who were Japanese-Americans in Hawaii.

    My grandfather and family left Molokai before the war and went back to Japan and then moved to North Korea. My mother and aunts were born on Molokai and were therefore American citizens. That was another reason why she was sent back to Hawaii after the war when everybody was starving and in dire straits; my grandfather barely recovering from his years of being in a Siberian prison camp.

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.