Have you ever noticed how many napkins restaurants and fast food places give you?
We were at a food court where Art went to Subway and I had tacos from Taco Bell. He got three huge napkins and I ended up with four for my 3 tacos. We didn't take them. They were given to us.
It reminded us of our trip to China where we were surprised to get a single tiny napkin or napkin tissues in boxes at the table.
Most countries don't give out as many napkins as we receive in the U.S.
It made us realize just how wasteful we Americans can be.
Art and I felt guilty knowing how much trash our small lunch created.
We took the napkins home to use, but had to throw out the rest of the trash we'd generated.
We're just going to have to remember to tell the counter person that we only need one napkin next time we eat out.
We were at a food court where Art went to Subway and I had tacos from Taco Bell. He got three huge napkins and I ended up with four for my 3 tacos. We didn't take them. They were given to us.
It reminded us of our trip to China where we were surprised to get a single tiny napkin or napkin tissues in boxes at the table.
Most countries don't give out as many napkins as we receive in the U.S.
It made us realize just how wasteful we Americans can be.
Art and I felt guilty knowing how much trash our small lunch created.
We took the napkins home to use, but had to throw out the rest of the trash we'd generated.
We're just going to have to remember to tell the counter person that we only need one napkin next time we eat out.


I use cloth napkins at home most of the time, but when I serve tacos it is paper napkins. And i could easily go through four by myself. I never mastered eating a taco, I guess. I put the used paper napkins in the compost collection.
ReplyDeletePretty sure we are messier eaters than other counties. We have so many finger foods.
ReplyDeleteI've just realized, it is a sign of the times. Growing up in India, more than 50 years ago and even later, I do not remember any paper napkins in houses. You washed your hands before meals, ate (with your fingers; I still do) washed your hands (and mouths) after the meal. Families had several cloth towels that were washed and sundried every day. Another thing was that going out to eat wasnt that common, and there werent any takeaway places. Even today, I buy paper napkins only when expecting large amount of guests, and having buffets at home.
ReplyDeleteNow McD, Subway, Dominoes, Pizzahut etc have made their inroads here, takeaway stuff is popular with the new generation, and supermarkets (we had Mom and pop stores) now stock different types of paper napkins. When I would fry stuff, I would drain it over a grocery brown paper bag thing spread out over a colander. The daughter will only insist on using paper napkins :-)
I guess you are considered to have come up in the world if you generate lots of trash :-)
Oh no I'm a napkin hog. I always have been. But on the plus side, I've stopped using disposable bags for the food store.
ReplyDeleteGood luck getting them to give you fewer napkins at the counter. Most clerks don't listen to requests like that :-)
ReplyDeleteI use cloth napkins at home, but any extra carryout paper ones go into the compost pile.
I noticed the difference in every country I visited. We wrap bread in paper and then in plastic. We use paper like it is nothing at all, while other countries are much less wasteful. You have to travel to other places to see the things we take for granted are not done everywhere. Good post!
ReplyDeleteYes, it is wasteful. I notice McDonald's at least uses a lot of paper containers instead of foam, etc. It's better for recycling.
ReplyDeletehow true-then there are the foam containers at restaurants for leftovers...
ReplyDeleteall that waste ends up in our waterways too. it's harmful to wildlife. i think the US could learn a few things from other countries if they took the time to watch/ listen.
ReplyDelete....And those napkins are just the tip of the iceberg of the amount of paper and packaging waste in this country.
ReplyDeleteI shall confess as Lynn did -- I am a napkin hog. I use them all and still don't have enough. Yes, I eat with utensils and not my fingers, but still I manage to use up all the napkins. I do not like condensation rings on the table or glass or small spills and immediately wipe them away with a napkin. Often I will drip sauce on my clothing and have to clean it up quickly with a nearby napkin. Plus finger foods just add insult to injury when the burger squeezes out between your digits and just don't get me started on fried chicken....
ReplyDeleteI too use lots of napkins. At home, not so much, but when we are eating at a fast food place, not too often, but most of them are foods that are eaten out of hand and I need LOTS of napkins. I use a couple for my lap and a couple for my hands.
DeleteI keep all our extra napkins in the car and we eventually use them up. At home we just use a kleenex, cheaper than napkins or paper towels.
ReplyDeleteWe try to recycle as much as we can and reuse/repurpose things around the house. I get a thrill with the ingenuity and effort that's required.
L...w
I think the fast food employees are told to provide napkins based on how many people could be eating for the order. I used cloth napkins in the past at home. I'll grab a tissue if I think I will end up being less messy. Here's a slant: at home, some nurses use those disposable gloves to check their car oil, eat barbeque ribs, or peel/slice onions! DrumMajor
ReplyDeleteThen there are folks like me. I'm a slob. There's always food down my front and drips on the table. If we have any napkins left after cleaning up after me, they go in the glove box of what ever we are driving. There they get used up fast for all sorts of things.
ReplyDeleteYes, I too use cloth napkins at home. :)
I try to use cloth napkins at home, but Dick says "I don't want to get it dirty" and I reply "It will be washed, so use it" and on and on it goes. I don't know why. Washable makes sense to me.
ReplyDeleteBut I'm like some of your other friends, I am a mess. I can't eat anything without dropping some of it, usually on myself. And this isn't an old-age thing, either. My kid brother used to say, "Don't let Kay eat red food if she's already dressed." And he was right. If I was serving spaghetti, I'd wear old clothes or put a dressing gown over my clothes.
And at fast food joints, any paper napkins I'm given, I need, and I often need more.
K
Take a good look at a parking lot at any major store at the end of saturday. We are wasteful
ReplyDeleteI just bought some cloth napkins for company use but use paper napkins usually. We don't eat out at places that produce a lot of paper trash.But when we travel, we are always floored by how wasteful airlines are, and airport food courts, etc.
ReplyDeleteWe try to live pono, which includes taking just what we need for napkins if that's an option when we're dining out. It makes good sense. Why waste?
ReplyDeleteHunky Husband (HH) joneses for KFC extra crispy which causes us to frequent the local KFC every few weeks - going through the buffet. Fortunately, we pick up our own napkins (I know that I, like Mage, am a slob who needs at least three & HH will eat twice as much food, but need only two); but, they always give us at least three full-sized, divided foam plates and at least three small, flat plates. I can't seem to get through to them how wasteful they are being and how bad on the environment it is. They tell me it is better on their bottom line to not have to take time to hand out more plates, if needed. Thankfully, the cups are paper.
ReplyDeleteCop Car
I confess that I am a napkin waster. But I would never do with those tiny ones from China! I really can't stand messy, sticky hands.
ReplyDeleteI know people who do not use paper napkins or paper towels, but I just think of those things in terms of people's jobs now days. If we don't consume, there goes another industry.
That is something I have always wondered about. It is very wasteful. I will follow your example.
ReplyDelete