Friday, January 17, 2020

Snowball Memory

Our time in Maryland seemed far shorter than we would have liked. Saying goodbye when it's time to leave is always so very difficult.

In the past, we would get up at 3:30 AM to give us enough time to drive to Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport for our flight back to Hawaii.

This time, we decided to make a short stop in Illinois and see our daughter and her family for a couple of days before continuing on to Hawaii.

This worked out nicely since we could then leave Baltimore a couple of hours later and also celebrate my son-in-law's birthday in Illinois. I told my daughter that we would bring a Wegmans Ultimate Chocolate Cake for him as a surprise.

It was still dark when we left our son's Maryland home. Keola gave us a hug as we left, but then followed us out into the cold without his jacket for a last goodbye.

It was snowing.

Art used the brush provided by the rental car company to quickly clean the car.

As a playful farewell gesture, Keola lobbed a couple of snowballs at us just before we left.

It took us about a half hour to get to Wegmans.


We found just the right decadent birthday cake for our son-in-law at Wegmans. It's a huge supermarket which we really love. I wish they'd come to Hawaii.

And then surprise!

Art was reaching into his pocket for something and found this. A snowball!!!

It must have slid into his pocket when Keola had thrown it at him.

It was so funny, we took this photo and sent it to everybody.

We don't like to travel in winter, but we sure wouldn't get a shot like this in summer.


24 comments:

  1. Oh, Keola!
    Art must be surprised with the cool ball :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's dangerous driving around here, for sure! You two have such fun!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too funny, loved the look on Art's face :) Well, just woke up to a couple inches of the white stuff this morning here in Pittsburgh... I'd love to trade it for a morning in Hawaii!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so funny! I love Wegman's too. My uncle used to work at one in Rochester, NY and it was always such a treat to visit one when we visited him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. snow is unusual but if avoidable that's great and why we live in Southern UTah as retirees-no snow to drive or walk in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Wegman's but they won't come to Ohio, either! But they are in upstate NY and I can shop there then. Art must have REALLY been surprised!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now that was funny and quite the surprise. I forget you use to live in snow country and know how to drive in it. Not sure I could after so many years in Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That will be a family story for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh that was fun! I sure enjoyed reading your adventure, Kay. Thanks for taking me along with you. I love snow...in photos and movies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Live just a few miles south of there and we have NO snow...at all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is funny. Apparently Art's winter jacket is a good insulator to keep that snowball from melting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing your happy times, Kay

    ReplyDelete
  13. Since everybody else seems to know, I feel embarrassed I never heard of Wegman's before today. And that snowball is priceless, I'll bet everyone got a kick out of that picture. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What is so great about Wegman's? I read a lot of Meijur (sp??) and that other European store a lot. -BB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had Meijer in Illinois and liked it too. But Wegmans is like the new Foodland, but 5 times better. They have an amazing buffet area where you can pick up all kinds of yummy selections and sit down and enjoy it. You can buy a giant pizza, sandwiches, etc. And everyone is friendly. Oh, and they have this amazing Ultimate Chocolate cake. Granted, the rest of the family prefers their wonderful carrot cake.

      Delete
  15. Wegman's is par excellent. Superb. If it's in season, they have it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a hoot! Snow to go! Like shave ice in your pocket. Glad Art found it; probably wouldn't have gone through security at the airport! Linda in Kansas (with ice instead of snow.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s really amazing that it didn’t melt during the half hour it took to get there. I was really happy the cake arrived safely too. I’ve carried a cake to Illinois before and the top layer slid over quite a bit because of the pilot’s hard landing.

      Delete
  17. Goodness me - that is a lot of ice on the car!
    Love the picture or Art and the snow/ice ball …

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the snowball. Hopefully that's all the snow you see on your trip!

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.