Thursday, September 19, 2013

Saving Soap

As I was taking a shower, I wondered how many people do this. 

I always felt guilty about soap going to waste when the bar got too small and would crumble when I was using it.


We discovered that if you just put the smaller soap on top of the new bar when it's wet, they stick to each other once it dries.

By doing this you can use every bit of the bar of soap.

You probably already knew this, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Nothing like being clean... and thrifty.

40 comments:

  1. Great tip! Those little slithers of soap add up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How logical! What a rational solution. That should be printed on the wrapper. Beats breaking up the wafer-thin bar into your washcloth. I need to follow you around for a day to learn more "obvious" secrets. DrumMajor

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I have done this at times. I now tend to use liquid bath soap with a pump, but I have saved bar soap that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband saves all his little bits of soap and uses them somehow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Dad used to do that. I recall he would wipe screws in the soap, cover the shaft and then they would go in real easily to the wood, no matter how hard it was..

      Delete
    2. Art says he's heard about this. I've never seen him try it, but what a great idea!

      Delete
  5. Whoa! I'd never heard of this trick! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never heard of this, either. I will use it now. Who knew? Did you figure this out yourself? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't use bar soap but I do stick Hubby's slivers together when I'm in the shower. I also add water to the bottom of my pump soap bottle to make sure I use every bit of it before I toss the bottle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well that is a new one and a good one. Thanks for sharing. I have also seen bits of left over soap tied in net and used as a bathing scrubber.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always use bodywash, never liked bar soap

    ReplyDelete
  10. good tip..must tell my mum about it..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good idea....sometimes we've done it by accident...with the big soap stuck on the little one. Usually we keep it separate and I'm the one who uses the last piece of soap with half of the piece falling off the towel and just thrown away. Yet I always knew those homesewn scrap bags were not the best solution.

    L...w

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We learned it by accident too. Then I saw it on a forwarded mail.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your message and I need to get my act together!! Any idea how Peggy is doing?

      Delete
    3. Peggy is doing great. She gave up on her blog after it locked her out for some reason. Her leukemia is in remission and I should see her sometime this year.

      Delete
  12. My grandma used to do that. The bars won't stick together for me. Double darn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do have to sort of press them down together when it's wet. Try again. :-)

      Delete
  13. Very good idea! Keeps from being wasteful. I am going to start doing this :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey thrifty nifty
    I do that too BUT I do it because I make all my own soap and shampoo and I use the most expensive and the finest oils. I don't want to waste a speck of soap so I always stick them together. But a good tip for those who don't know. My own kids don't get any more of my soap. They are wasteful and let the soap sit in water in the soap dish. They may not have been depression babies but I was and I do appreciate good soap and being thrifty. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! You make your own soaps and shampoos? That's fabulous!!!

      Delete
  15. Appreciate what ya got, yep!



    Aloha :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I used to do that also till I discovered body washes. Now I can't remember the last bar of soap I bought.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I sometimes do this, but sometimes I like to change up the soap and I don't want to contaminate a new bar.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These days, I use body wash. When I used soap bars, I did what you do. Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  19. During the War, that phrase only means World War II to me, my Grandmother used to put every bit of used soap in a little wire cage thing with a handle. She would then shake, rattle and roll it in the dishwater to create suds.I guess soap was rationed "for the duration," as was the phrase used back then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounded like a great idea too!

      Delete
    2. Henry Soft Soap Chapin? Hank, you are so funny!

      Delete
  20. We just started doing that this last year. Tom discovered it. I like the results too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Some bars work better than others. Most homemade soaps are soft and cooperate quite well for the piggyback rescue maneuver.
    I have one of the basket swisher things from the 1940s and I swish it in the washing machine to use the last bits or broken bits. Another thing you can do is take a cup of water and the soap bits and heat it in the microwave, then let it sit until the soap is dissolved. Then put it in your liquid soap dispenser. Shake before using.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very true. I use Ivory and it really sticks to each other.

      Delete
  22. This is a great idea, but there isn't a bar of soap in the house. My skin is so sensitive and worse now for some reason that I am using organic liquid soaps and organic shower gels in the house. Hubby uses a regular liquid soap and shower gel..not cheap....Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've stayed in enough hotels that I've not had to buy soap in more than 10 years. Piggy-backing cakes of soap pretty much doubles the life of hotel room soap.

    If a cake is "too hard" to blend onto another, just soak it in water (I use a saucer full) and it eventually is pliant enough to merge with another cake or sliver.

    Baking soap (soap that you've blended yourself from old slivers) will dry it out & make it last much much much longer.

    Kay, I'd have thought with all the travel you've done you'd have a tea chest full of hotel soaps at home by now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have a lot of soap from hotels. I've given a bunch away to homeless charities. I like your piggyback idea since I have a bunch more collected in my drawer.

      Delete
  24. Been using soap slivers to help set screws for years. I'm surprised Art hasn't tried that. It works well.

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.