Sunday, January 9, 2011

Cheap Chocolates

The holidays are over now and the sparkle of tinsels blinding my better judgement are gone. I kept one box of that French Chocmod Truffles (Truffettes de France) to try and gave a whole bunch away as gifts. It was listed as one of the four (or was it five?) things you SHOULD buy at Costco during the holiday season. I believed it all.

I opened the box today. I really should have tried it first before I bought it for several people on my gift list.

I was surprised at how many chocolates were in that box. A LOT!

I was unimpressed with the first taste. The cocoa dusting was not sweet. It's not supposed to be since it's just cocoa powder. The first bite was not super sweet either. It was different. Since I'm one for cheap chocolate (Halloween candy), I guess I wasn't used to fancy French chocolate.

Art said he liked the fact that it wasn't very sweet. My mom's first impression was that it was different. Then she said, "It's good. I like it."


Then I read the nutrition facts. Oops!

The ingredients are: Vegetable oil (palm), sugar, low fat cocoa, whey powder, cocoa powder, emulsifier, soy lecithin, natural vanilla flavor.

Palm oil! 85% Saturated fat!

I guard my carb intake pretty carefully since I am pre-diabetic. So is Mom. I try to make all my carbs count. To be honest though, from now on, I'm sticking to Kit Kats.... or Ghirardelli or Hersheys or Doves or Fanny May or Sees or ...

Just kidding!

POSTSCRIPT: I take it back! I've had a few more and my tongue has adjusted itself. This is actually quite good. Art said to be sure to add his, "I told you so."

21 comments:

  1. LOL funny post!
    I think I too could "adjust" to loving those chocolates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm afraid I'm a bit of a chocolate snob. I never did like cheaper chocolate, and these days since I can only eat the odd chocolate now and again I only eat the good quality Belgian chocolate. It's expensive, but a box lasts for ages as I eat so few.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love chocolate but it seems to have taken against me - probably just as well,really;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kay, I personally think those chocolates are to die for! However, I also like Mars Bars, Kit Kat, Smarties, etc. Anything chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. have you tried sugar free chocolates? they have some fun varieties-toffee, caramel and pecan logs are my favorites. I'm still avoiding sugar and have cut my metformin pills down to one cause my blood sugar is lower...whoppee!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got a box of these for a Christmas present last year. I liked them WAY too much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I prefer HERSHEY'S KISSES!!! They are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have gotten to the point where I really only like dark chocolate or semisweet. Milk chocolate just seems too sweet and not rich enough in flavor. So I guess I would love these!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun post for the day, Kay! And I love anything that remotely looks/tastes like chocolate!! Needless to say, I try to avoid chocolates when I go shopping! We do get to hear the "I told you so" ever so often, don't we? Have a great day!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Laughing here! The worst chocolate I ever had . . . was absolutely wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hilarious, Kay. So funny, especially Art's "I told you so." I guess it's like all acquired tastes, they have to be tasted for a while in order to be acquired. LOL
    -- Kay and Dick

    Kay, Alberta, Canada
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love chocolate (except white chocolate) and have been grieving the past few days because the Christmas chocolate is all gone, largely dvo to my own efforts. Sob.

    Thank you for the info on where to get a garlic peeler. I've been able to think of little else (except chocolate) science reading your post. I'll be going to Williams-Sonoma soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. At first I was going to say I guess it's a good thing you didn't care for the chocolate that much so you wouldn't eat alot of them, but when you said your tongue adjusted and you like it-oh well! I ate more chocolate this year than I usually do, but still wasn't too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like chocolate ans especially truffles! I am afraid if there are too many in my vicinity I will eat them all.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm with you on the Dove's chocolate. I can only eat Dove's dark chocolate these days, but I'm sure I'd adjust to a new one just like you did. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love these chocolates. So glad your changed your mind.
    Dark Chocolate are not as sweet, usually. I bought the same ones this year and I have to hide them!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. That was a bit funny. I'm not fond of chocolate but will eat it. Bad chocolate is not good. I like dark chocolate but most of the time chocolate will just sit in my house.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes, I will go get one next week. I'm serving fahitas for dinner and need lots of peeled garlic. Thanks so much for telling me where your daughter got it. Amazing, this power of the internet.

    Yes, once I got over the not-sweetness, I liked them a lot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sometimes certain chocolates have to be tasted a few times. Especially if you are like me, I like Hersey and Whitman's sample chocolates.

    ReplyDelete
  20. We love dark chocolate! Those truffles would have been a perfect gift for us -- right up until we read the label! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I heard about Costco's picks also but never made it there to get them. I'll remember this for next year. Nothing like a good recommendation!!

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.