About 10 or more years ago, we were at Kenosha's Outlet Mall in Wisconsin and I saw my perfect (Hedgren Urban) bag at the Samsonite store. I've always loved backpacks because they leave my hands free. However, I need a backpack that would make it hard for pickpockets when we travel. Therefore, it should open up from the back and yet have a small pocket in front for my notebook or cellphone.
This Urban backpack was just what I was looking for. It was also lightweight and comfortable.
The small, but spacious bag was on a clearance rack. I think it was $20.00. For $1.00 more I could buy a second one. You bet I did! I figured I could always give it away as a gift.
I didn't. You can see the difference in the old, well used and loved bag and the new bag that I have my mother use when we travel.
I think I've carried that bag exclusively for ten years, perhaps more. I know it's dumb, but I want to save that twin backpack. When I looked on line, they were going for $90.00 a bag now. Gracious!
Since it was showing its age, I put another Urban backpack on my wishlist for Christmas as a change of pace, and my daughter, Tiffany bought it for me online.

I'm enjoying my new Urban backpack. It's called Baggalini. But, you know what? I'm looking at my Hedgren and it's hard to put it away no matter how ratty it looks. It's like an old friend who's hugged my back for such a long time.
I'll be using my new backpack in 2011, but I'll keep my old friend to use every so often.
Fancy new one. But I understand your fondness for the old friend.
ReplyDeleteNaomi gave me a backpack they got free at a medical congress. It has blah blah Sydney 2003 on it. I have used it every single day since 2003, in several continents. It is faded and frayed and the kids laugh at me for using it. But it is part of me, as you say, Kay.
I bought myself a Baggalini Bon Voyage Bag this fall. I seem to have a hard time finding just the right purse. It must be sturdy, light weight, have an adjustable strap for shoulder or cross body wear, and have slots for credit cards, phone, the works. this one has it all, but with everything in its place, there is no extra room. I'll have to make some adjustments for my iPod.
ReplyDeletelooks so useful and it certainly is durable...lol!
ReplyDeleteKay, I love the shape of the new one! I can understand not wanting to part with the old ones! Good luck with the new one!!
ReplyDeleteI do love your new one, but like you and the others, I tend to hold onto the old ones. Guess they're kind of like old friends and we never want to lose or put away those!! Have a beautiful day, Kay!
ReplyDeleteSylvia
You should see the collection of bags I'VE got. No, maybe you shouldn't. But I know what you mean about the old-bag-old-friend idea.
ReplyDeleteYour new backpack is beautiful, and I know you'll get plenty of use out of it, eventually.
I have a Bagallini bag that looks like a tiny purse when folded, but opens up to hold a day's shopping. I try not to take it anywhere with me, for fear of buying things to fill it up! LOL
-- K
Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel
oh your new one looks so stylish Kay. Tiffany has great taste.
ReplyDeleteThat new backpack looks sexy, but even though it is old and worn, I totally understand your love for the old one. Amoeba has had his backpack for over 20 years! It is developing holes and I have to air it frequently to keep the stench down (he fills it with seaweed on a regular basis), but he won't consider replacing it. Soon there will be no choice. The seams are (finally!) beginning to split.
ReplyDeleteI totally get this. A great bag is very hard to find. I do like your new bag. I hope it works out for you.
ReplyDeleteNo purses here. I use backpacks almost exclusivly, and my regular back pack looks even worse than yours. Silly me. Use the new one for good, but us the one you make your mom use for everyday.....unless she uses it every day. Why not.
ReplyDeleteIt's hard to say good-bye to old friends.
ReplyDeleteI like your new backpack - very swish! I wonder how long it will be before you break the habit of using the old one all the time.
ReplyDeleteI have had my Janssport for about 10 years. It has lasted my first attempt at college, an emergency mom refuses to by Aspen a backpack for school in March, as a gym bag for Shane, luggage for weekend camp, me back in school and now Shane also in school! We just got another one so it didn't have to be emptied when shared.
ReplyDeleteI love my Pacsafe backpack. It is not big, but itis big enough to hold my netbook and Kindle plus a lot of other stuff. It has been to Italy and France and many other places.
ReplyDeleteYou cannot beat quality and I love your new bag Kay. They are perfect for travelling arent they?
ReplyDelete