Tuesday, January 11, 2011

E-Books

I'm hearing a lot about how people are loving their Kindle.


They're now quite inexpensive, about $129.00 I think, but I believe the books cost about $10. Yes, it's true. I'm cheap. I prefer borrowing books from the library. Then again, I've heard you can get free books, too. Also, I like the idea of being able to read in bed without a night reading light that sometimes (rarely) bothers Art.

I just read in the Honolulu Star Advertiser that you can upload e-book selections (thanks to Project Gutenberg) from the Hawaii library system. It's through something called the Overdrive website.

Apparently you can upload books on readers like "Sony Reader, Barnes and Noble Nook and Kobo eReader, but not on Kindle which does not work with Overdrive."

So I'm wondering...

Is there a reason why I should do Kindle still? On the other hand, I think Kindle is more reasonably priced.

Oh no... another decision!

21 comments:

  1. I have a Kindle but have 'proper' books to read first. However, I have downloaded a number of free books and there are thousands, apparently, though not all on Amazon.
    Barry's niece has a more expensive one and uses it for email and internet access. She travels a lot.
    There is a new Kindle in the pipeline - with colour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kay, I have been looking into The Nook Color. My hubby has an original Kindle and while he love it, sometimes he says he wishes it was in color. I have to save for it though, so it will be awhile. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well you know my feelings after alot of research and you may want to pop back and look at the comments on my post yesterday. One stated she has a Sony reader but now wishes sometimes she had a Kindle. Free books are just not an issue, if you sign up to that blog I mentioned you get free books daily. But there are many other sites I haven't even looked at yet to get them too. I have got 50 in 6 weeks from Amazon! Plus only the latest books are $10-13, the rest range from 99c up to $10.

    But if you read at night like I do, it been proved that looking at a computer screen in colour will increase brain activity and keep you awake. The Kindles e-ink page is like reading a book and won't do this.

    But my final comment is, do you read books now in colour?! Do you not have a laptop you can use for colour internet. My Kindle was never mean't to be another PC, I wanted something as close to a book as I could get. If you feel the same, get the Kindle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got a Barnes & Noble Nook Color as a Christmas gift from my hubby and I LOVE it!!! It was expensive, but so worth it to me. I can put all my music on it. I can blog on it. I can browse all over the internet. I get free things from the Cafe when I bring my Nook into Barnes & Noble. I get free books from the Library. It's relatively small and compact and I can share books with my friend who also has a Nook. I usually buy a lot of books anyway as I love the look and feel of a book in my hands and in my bookcase so I wasn't sure at first, but once I saw all the features, I was convinced. I am happy with my Nook!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. always something new...I still like holding a book in my hand but my eyesight is not as good for small print so I may try a device in the future sometime...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kay;

    We bought Bob a Kindle last year for xmas and he loves it. He is a true lover of books though and still goes to the bookstore just to "smell" and feel"" the book and buy.
    I think I want to get a ipad or something like that. Have heard such great things! Probably not this year but who knows!
    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. iPad will be my next purchase. I love my iPhone but would really like a bigger page and something that loads faster than the 3G that I have on it. I already read newspapers and magazines online so figure books will be next. But first, I need to save up for it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would prefer a color Nook because I like to follow cookbooks that usually contain color photos of food.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kay - I may have mentioned to you that I travel with a Sony eBook Reader and I like it a lot. There are lots of free books and, because I love re-reading old classics, I have lots of those. Still plodding through Charles Darwin's 'Voyage of the Beagle' and taking a break with 'real books' when I'm home.
    Big advantage is being able to increase the size of the type when my eyes are tired.
    The downside of my Sony is the price, and perhaps I'd have liked a Kindle just as well. I know I don't need it in color. I have a few B&W photos on it, and some soothing music, and I'm happy.
    -- K

    Kay, Alberta, Canada
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kay, I have a Kindle and enjoy it a lot. There's a larger screen version and I decided I would not like it.

    I know nothing about the Nook or books on iPad.

    Good luck in your research.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I heard that the I-Pad will make these e-books redundant soon. It will also replace our PCs! Who knows? (-:

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love my Kindle. It's a 1st generation so many changes have come since I got it. I have friends who love their Nooks. I really don't think it will matter too much which you get. You will love whichever one you choose. The convenience is too good to pass up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I want a Kindle simply because I do 99.9% of my shopping at Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wait a little while, the kindle will get even better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know you can read a kindle outside in sunlight. I don't know about any of the others. Something to check. And that point about having color - I don't read books in color unless they are photography based. and then I would want the real book anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Readers seemed like a good idea when I thought of it back in the 80's.

    I love paper books, but don't hate words on a screen (obviously)



    Aloha from Waikiki, Kay :)

    Comfort Spiral

    ><}}(°>


    <°)}}><

    ReplyDelete
  17. I got a Kindle for Christmas. I didn't think I'd like it, but I love it. I haven't really bought too many books for it yet. Many books can be downloaded for free.

    I've read some research that says that for students, the comprehension and ability to remember what was read is higher on the Kindle then on the iPad. I thought this was interesting. I think the iPad is great for many things, but I most likely would not like it for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What's all this about smelling books? Sounds a little strange to me. Have you smelled those library books that have been around for years and who knows where? I got a copy of book out the Hilo Library not so long ago that was so grotty I took it back rather than trying to read it.
    My Kindle is now a necessity. I am never without something to read. I always have it with me. It's a Kindle 2 with wireless. I don't recommend the wifi version of Kindle 3. It's the free wireless that makes this such a great device. It's well worth the extra money.
    One of my favorite diversions is to download the Sunday Times and read through it in my comfortable chair. It's current, there are no ads, and it costs 99 cents. And think of the trees I'm saving!
    There is nothing that can beat the Kindle for extensive reading.
    I am on my second Kindle, because I destroyed my first one with careless handling, and moisture got into it. Even so, it lasted a year and a half. I'm being much more careful with my second Kindle.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have a Kindle and love it, but truth be told, I prefer holding an actual book when I read. I mostly use the Kindle more when I'm traveling.
    Not sure if this helps.... Cheers, jj

    ReplyDelete
  20. My son gave me a Nook. I never thought I would be able to give up reading a 'proper' book, but I am so enjoying it now.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love my kindle and as another poster mentioned there is a blog that almost daily directs you to all kinds of free books:
    http://fkbt.wordpress.com/
    I have gotten probably over 400 since I got my kindle a few months ago and have only spent about $6.99 total. One of the books I bought was a compilation of about 25 Zane Gray books, not bad for $5.00. When he tells you about free books you have to check quickly though as today they may be free and tomorrow they may be $.99 to $25.00. I still get the urge to flip the page now and then, but the kindle has many many advantages. I made a spreadsheet of my books (almost all free at the time) and have them catagorized on my spreadsheet and my kindle. I'd be happy to email the list to you if you like.

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.