My daughter takes after Art. If she goes to a department store with me, she'll keep a steady eye on me because she knows it's possible for me to go 'round and 'round and never find my way out again.
When we were all on Maui at a hotel this summer, I started to lead three and a half year old KC to where I thought their hotel room was. She tugged at my hand and said, "Grandma, not that way. We have to go this way."
Art had to stifle a laugh. (My mother and her sister are the same way. I blame them for this defective gene.)
My son, Jon says it's all in my head. He says I'm just not being observant. Well... maybe.
When we went for an afternoon walk before Christmas and were nearing home, Art asked KC, "Do you know which way our house is,KC?""It's that way!" shouted KC happily.
We were surprised that she'd figured it out because we'd walked in a circle around the neighborhood and didn't think she knew where we were.
"How did you know?" Art asked her.
"It's my heart tree," said KC.
I didn't even realize the tree had a heart shape... so maybe Jon is right. But then again, maybe it's still a defective gene that makes me not pay attention to these landmarks.
Oh well... thank goodness for GPS!
I'm with you, Kay. We could get lost together. hehe
ReplyDeleteAww, sweet KC, seeing a heart and keeping you on track.
Once I saw how an Israeli girl set out to blog for an entire year solely with hearts and heart shaped things she discovered.
Well, at least we have people in the family who can guide the way. My sense of direction isn't that great. That's why I was so thrilled when Gregg gave me my last birthday gift, a phone with GPS, and one that can talk to me when I am driving, so that I don't have to look at directions. This is such a cute story about KC's heart tree. All I could think of was "Wow, what a smart little girl. Way to go KC." Our little ones tend to see what we don't see at first. That's definitely a heart tree.
ReplyDeleteI'm like Art, I seem to have an instinctive sense of direction allied with an inbuilt observation. We've learnt over the years never to take any notice of Christopher's 'short cuts'. I navigate, he drives or follows. He swears it's a defective gene that prevents him from remembering people's names!
ReplyDeleteoh that is soo cute...KC's observation..she even has a name for it.
ReplyDeleteI'm like your hubby, have to know which way is north and where I am on the planet. It is related to objects, when I visited Sweden I was lost-cloudy most of the time and no mountains or sun to orientate yourself. Don't always trust gps systems...lol!
ReplyDeleteWhat a dear she is. Got her head on the right direction too. :)
ReplyDeleteLovely post. Great blog!
ReplyDeleteLyn Floyd is right - don't rely totally on GPS: you need to look at a map before you set out to avoid doing what my son did once. He'd newly programmed his satnav when he came to see us in France. His ferry landed him at le Havre, and the satnav took him by tortuous routes to the centre of Rouen - about 100 miles East of where he should have gone. He discovered that the default setting of the satnav was to avoid motorway tolls. Even so, had he looked even briefly at a map he would have known he was getting a bum steer. A two hour journey ultimately took about 5 hours, with me going frantic with worry!
We know who KC takes after.
ReplyDeleteSeeing the world from KC's eyes must be like heaven.
She is so observant, the tree is shaped just like a heart!
Kay; Just hold onto KC's hand, she'll get you where you have to go!
Got your holiday letter, loved it.
Happy New Year.
What a cute story, Kay! I love that heart tree.
ReplyDeleteAs for me, I consciously orient myself and look for landmarks so that I'll know how to return home. It's not easy, but that's the only way to do it.
I love KC's heart tree!!!!
ReplyDeleteI have a pretty good sense of direction but when I'm heading to an unfamiliar area and there's set time to be there, I allow myself "getting lost" time. It seems to work.
I live on the East coast near the ocean. So If I get lost I head towards the ocean. Then if it is on my right I am going North if it is on my left I am going South. I haven't had to do that in a long time though! I am terrible about giving directions and when I recieve them I need landmarks too.
ReplyDeleteI am useless with a roadmap, but very observant. I did get a GPS for Christmas. Now I have to figure out how it works. As Gilda Radner said...it's always something!!
ReplyDeleteMy dad even tried teaching me to pay attention to landmarks as a child. I was just never certain ... I am more emotionally oriented than I am detail oriented.
ReplyDeleteI used to worry that one one my students would disappear and I wouldn't be able to repeat what s/he was wearing -- on the other hand, if the child had been in the room for more than 5 minutes, I could tell you in detail his/her emotional frame of mind.
I prefer to think I focus on what is important -- I might get physically lost but I am rarely emotionally clueless.
I couldn't find my way out of a paper bag, Kay, so don't feel badly. My new car has a guidance system, thank Goodness. That tree really does look like a heart!
ReplyDeleteI bet you'll always see that 'heart tree' form now on, and think of KC.
ReplyDeleteSweet! I have a poor sense of direction but all my children take after Barry and always know where they are and where they're going - thank goodness ;-)
ReplyDeleteOh Kay, I LOVE KC's heart tree! What an amazing discovery. And yes, sometimes the little ones can guide us in the right direction. I am so impressed that KC recognizes the tree as a heart one and that she knows where to go!
ReplyDeleteI sometimes get discriminated, especially if in a strange place.Ask KC to lend you her heart tree, that is so cute.
ReplyDeleteJust showed KC the blog pic and she said, "It's my heart tree!" She definitely has a good memory too.
ReplyDelete