Monday, January 4, 2016

Starting the New Year With Relief

On the last day of 2015, Art got up around 2:00 AM with nausea, diarrhea and vomiting. Incredibly, I slept through it all not knowing the agony he was going through.

He spent all day of New Year's Eve on the reclining chair sleeping and having more stomach cleansing episodes. It was not good. He couldn't hold down very much liquids despite my coaxing with Nuun to replace electrolytes, ginger ale and water. He had half an apple that I put through the blender for lunch and maybe a half cup of noodles for dinner.

Mom was frantic for her favorite son-in-law. OK, so he's her only son-in-law, but that only makes him that much more special to her.

I was freaking out with text messages to the kids who offered their opinions. They sent photos of the grandkids to cheer us up. Art doesn't usually get sick so this was scary.

Fever erupted in the evening. I gave him Tylenol and brought up ice water for cold compresses. Water in Hawaii is too warm to do much good to bring down a fever.


Fireworks from 7:00 PM to 1:00 AM only woke him for about 10 minutes. I took a couple of photos and they really don't show just how much fireworks everybody set off. Obviously the economy must be doing well for so many people to afford such extravagant fireworks in Hawaii. In fact, a lot of these are quite illegal.

Miraculously, on New Year's Day, Art woke up saying he felt a whole lot better and was even hungry at last. The fever was gone and he said he was quite capable to do his Meals on Wheels run.

We're still going to take it easy and we'll be gentle with his tummy. Some traditional mild mochi for lunch should be safe.

And so we're starting off 2016 cautiously, but happily.

And relieved.

21 comments:

  1. That's great news! It sounds like it was a bout with the flu and he must have had a flu shot so he didn't get that sick. The fever is a pretty good sign that it was a virus. I'm so glad he's better now. Yay! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like food poisoning. That happened to me in Miami after dinner at the hotel. I spent the whole night and day in bed with fever and chills. Ruined my vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since this passed so quickly, I agree with Gigi, sounds like food poisoning. The norovirus is running rampant here in California but it lasts longer than 24 hours. Of course, Art may have a good immune system that kicked the virus more quickly. That has happened with me a few times. I'm a big believer in taking probiotics to keep my immune system strong and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So very pleased Art is feeling better. What a horrible thing to go through. And too, what a good start to the new year. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds awful, poor Art. So glad he is feeling better. Sounds like Montazumas Revenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very scary, indeed. Glad all is well now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you all got through that bout of sickness. Be well, dear Art!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It does sound like a bad 24 hour bug luckily. So glad he is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad Art - and you - are feeling chipper again. End the old year sick and start the new year with improving health.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Try to remember what he ate 24 hours before. This sound like food poisoning and you want to avoid that again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That virus has been making the rounds. I walked with a neighbor this morning and she, her husband and son all came down with it the day after Christmas. No fun. Glad Art is on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's not a good start to the year. I'm glad Art's on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stomach bugs are the worse! Glad he's better, and you didn't get it too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awful! That happened to me in Venice of all places. Ginger tea helped, but time helped even more and I was better after one day.
    I'm so sorry Art began his New Year with the 'Yukeys'. I hope you all enjoy and happy and very healthy 2016.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so sorry. A stomach virus, or what ever he had, can sure make life miserable. You must have been so worried about him. I always worry about dehydration, or having potassium levels go too low. I'm so glad he is better. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Whatever it was, it was fast and furious! So glad he is on the mend, and your worries are relieved.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so very sad to hear this, but glad that it seemed to pass quickly. It sounded miserable.

    ReplyDelete
  18. 2015 was giving him a real send off. All he really needed was a new year to cure him. Seriously, it sure sounds like one of those 24 hour flues that are great for temporary weight loss but make us feel awful. So glad it is over and hope 2016 continues to be great.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Did your mom make him some "Okayu"?

    From Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh! That would have been an excellent thing to do, but no, we didn't. He ate almost nothing on New Years Eve and slowly got back to normal on New Year's Day. Wow! I haven't had okayu in such a long time.

      Delete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.