I sometimes get up at night and have a hard time falling asleep. Someone forwarded an email to me about the 4-7-8 method. They promised that it would help me fall asleep in a minute. I tried it for a minute or two and it didn't work so I forgot about it. However, I did mention it to some friends.
Last week, my buddy, Diane told me that she's been trying the method and although it didn't work immediately, if you kept it up, you'd fall asleep faster than if you just tossed and turned.
Since I lost the original e-mail, I looked it up online and found this article on Huffington Post. I've been using this method this past week and it did actually work for me. I did not fall asleep in a minute. I must be a hard core insomniac, but within 10 minutes I did fall asleep!
Here's the 4-7-8 Method:
As I said, it did not make me fall asleep in 1 minute, but I did fall asleep a whole lot faster than if I laid there twiddling my thumbs.
If you're an insomniac and you already tried the warm shower, lavender scenting your room, cooling your room, wearing socks and whatever, you might try this for fun. It worked for Diane and it's worked for me (sort of).
Last week, my buddy, Diane told me that she's been trying the method and although it didn't work immediately, if you kept it up, you'd fall asleep faster than if you just tossed and turned.
Since I lost the original e-mail, I looked it up online and found this article on Huffington Post. I've been using this method this past week and it did actually work for me. I did not fall asleep in a minute. I must be a hard core insomniac, but within 10 minutes I did fall asleep!
Here's the 4-7-8 Method:
- Place the tip of your tongue against the ridge of tissue just behind your upper front teeth, and keep it there through the entire exercise.
- Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound.
- Close your mouth and inhale quietly through your nose to a mental count of four.
- Hold your breath for a count of seven.
- Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound to a count of eight.
- Repeat the cycle three more times for a total of four breaths.
As I said, it did not make me fall asleep in 1 minute, but I did fall asleep a whole lot faster than if I laid there twiddling my thumbs.
If you're an insomniac and you already tried the warm shower, lavender scenting your room, cooling your room, wearing socks and whatever, you might try this for fun. It worked for Diane and it's worked for me (sort of).

I don't have any trouble falling asleep but wake in the middle of the night. I'll give this a try. :-)
ReplyDeleteThanks for nice advice
ReplyDeleteThere are times when I wake in the night, like last night, and my mind is just churning and churning over the same thought. Last night it was planning a family reunion. Argh. I tossed and turned, woke Dan, he finally got up and went to the loft where there's a mattress and fell back to sleep he said. Me? I tossed some more trying to think about other things. I did finally fall back asleep but can't say it was restful because the dreams were too intense. I'll have to try your method.
ReplyDeleteI had just recently heard of this but have not tried it yet. Sounds promising.
ReplyDeleteHi, I just saw you blog and am a fellow Midwesterner by birth- Iowa, college in Illinois and 2 kids born in the Chicago suburbs. Since then I've lived in several states! Your advice comes from Dr Weil- I like to read him. It never worked for me but it's something to think about! My problem is I go to bed early and get up early- too early! It's rare for me to not be up before 5 AM so when 8 PM comes around, I am tired! I'm a true morning person but 5 AM is very EARLY LOL.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry. It appears that I am one of those horrible folks who fall asleep the moment her head hits the pillow.
ReplyDeletemight be worth trying, thanks Kay!
ReplyDeleteGreat tips, but I'm blessed to (usually) fall asleep within minutes of hitting the pillow.
ReplyDeleteI go to sleep quickly, just wake up after 4 hours and then the struggle begins. Usually if I look for faces behind my closed eyelids that works but maybe I will try this for sometimes the light isn't right to see the faces. (I know---weird)
ReplyDeleteIt is rare for me to have trouble going to sleep but when I do I will try this. I hate it when it happens because usually my mind in troubled.
ReplyDeleteI usually take half a benadryl if I can't fall asleep
ReplyDeleteKay, surely you don't think I can remember all those steps.such an attempt would leave me wide awake.
ReplyDeletewell I get up work on the computer for an hour then I'm ready for bed again...lol!
ReplyDeleteI get to sleep and then I wake up around 1:00 M and can't get back to sleep.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the tip, will print out so I have it around the next time I need it. Actually, I needed it 2 nights ago. I stayed up late watching a library DVD "Labor Day", which was pretty good and at 2:00 am went to bed. However, for some odd and frustrating reason, I could not fall asleep, kept tossing and turning for hours. Probably finally fell asleep around 5:00 am and awoke at 8:00 am.
ReplyDeleteIf I had this tip about sleeping, it would have helped or at least been worth a try!
Mahalo!
The next time being awake happens, I'll try to remember this.
ReplyDeleteInteresting!
ReplyDeleteI have tried something similar and it didn't seem to do much besides momentarily take my mind off what was worrying me in the first place. I guess sleep becomes one of those problems that creep up on you as you get older.
ReplyDeleteTried the sock wearing method, but all it did was keep my feet warmer on those nighttime trips to the bathroom.
ReplyDeleteActually, the sock method used to work for me in Illinois.
DeleteI lie on my side and try to clear my mind then I count breaths. 1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2 and after about a minute or two, I fall asleep. It works for me.
ReplyDeleteHmmmm......I'll have to try this. Thank you Kay!
ReplyDeleteBlessings....
ReplyDeleteSounds intriguing
though i have had periodic bouts of insomnia i am no insomniac thank God.
I love this one. I use it to relax, it doesn't work to get me to sleep, but it does to make me relax!
ReplyDeleteI thought oxygen in your blood wakes you up. That's why we yawn I read somewhere. It sounds like the method works though.
ReplyDeleteBut who can remember all those instructions in the dark? ;)
ReplyDelete