
If it's one thing about going places, that's what Art likes to do. Right now, we've got two trips planned for 2011. One is to visit Yellowstone and Glacier National Parks along with Mt. Rushmore and several other parks in the vicinity. The other is the cruise to Alaska. We're also wondering about a trip to San Francisco. I'm not sure if we're both going on that one or if he'll be going alone.
We were also just talking about going to the island of Molokai for a day. Art and I have never been there. My mother was born while her father was a Zen priest in Kaunakakai and serving the Hansen's Disease (leprosy) colony in Kalaupapa. I'd like to see where she spent the first six years of her life.

Now me. This was my fortune. I do have a challenge right now. Art had me sign up for the Aloha Run in February. It's a little less than a month away. I had not exercised in a couple of months because I was recuperating from a nasty cold, etc. OK... fine...it's true that the cold has been over for a month, but I just couldn't get my "mojo" up to walk again.
Art is encouraging (!!!) me every night to walk almost a couple of miles so I can be ready for the 8 mile Aloha Run (walk). Our very good friends, Dave and Diane are also trying to train for the walk just so they can keep me company while Art runs. It'll be a challenge for the three of us (and I don't mean Art).
So as the fortune cookie foretold, Art is traveling and I'm being challenged. Granted, my finest ability might be in my fingers calling my brother to say we'd like for him to pick us up and drive us home before the finish line. My finest ability might be knowing when to quit. That's the thing about fortune cookies. It's all in how you interpret them.
EVERYBODY: Sarah from Brit Gal in the USA has started a regular feature on her blog spotlighting a blog to introduce to her friends. I am very tickled and humbled that she has chosen to shine her light on me this week. If you have time, do please jump on over to see what she's written. I'm going over now to check it out.
I've always loved your blog address, traveller's wife, and so wish I could claim to be the same. Christopher would love to travel and see more of the world, but I struggle so with severe anxiety that I know it would be a real trial for me. I've tried hard over the years not to let my problems get in the way of family life, but aeroplanes are not for me I fear, unless I'm doped up to the eyeballs. So, good on you for all your travelling, I'm a real armchair traveller and love to read about your adventures.
ReplyDeleteDon't you just love those fortune cookie fortunes! They are alot of fun and it also makes you think!
ReplyDeleteHello, again, Kay! I 'lost' you when my computer crashed, way back when, but have found you again through Sara, the Brit Gal. I enjoyed reading your blogging interview on her site.
ReplyDeleteYour blog is back in my feeds, and I'm looking forward to reading your older posts and keeping up with your new ones.
your vacation plans this year sound fantastic. good luck with the walk!
ReplyDeletekeep your good fortune coming.
ReplyDeleteI love those as well.
good ones keep me smile all day.
I found you through Brit Gal's blog. I love the idea of using Musings as the title of your blog. Happy travels this summer!
ReplyDeletegood for you! Best wishes, Kay!
ReplyDeleteWe have no travel plans yet this year, but yours are making me get that urge!
ReplyDeleteI would love to be able to train with you for that 8 mile walk, but I don't thnik I can do eight miles anymore. Sigh.
I think you can do the Aloha Walk. 8 miles is nothing! Bet you did that each day in your classroom!
ReplyDeletewhat a great challenge-what ever practice you put in will benefit you...
ReplyDeleteI just checked out Brit Gal's blog to see what you said about yourself, and I read all the comments before mine, to see what others say about you. Guess what! We all concur. You are the original Aloha girl.
ReplyDeleteVery funny about the fortune cookies. Especially Art going places! As for the Aloha Run, I'm glad you won't be walking alone while Art is running ahead. Sounds like Dave and Diane are very good friends indeed.
-- K
Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel
You lead such an interesting life, and I love reading about it. Good luck with your 8 mile walk. My feet would never cooperate at this point of my life!!
ReplyDeleteI don't think I've ever had a fortune cookie that really applied to my life.
ReplyDeleteAnd I hope you do great n the Aloha run!
As to your travels -- I can't wait for the photo!!!!
I was so proud of myself for doing a half mile the other day on the treadmill .....
ReplyDeleteWhat a great tribute to your blog! I loved it. Good luck with your "challenge." You can do it!
ReplyDeleteThat is AMAZING and wonderful about your mother's background! She is certainly a living treasure of our Hawaii and I hope you will write more about her.
ReplyDeleteBest of luck in your training.
Warm Aloha from Waikiki to you and ART
Comfort Spiral
><}}(°>
<°)}}><
I think the fortunes in fortune cookies can be quite accurate...yours certainly are!
ReplyDeleteI have no doubt you'll pass your challenge with flying colors.
And I did indeed pop over from Sarah's! Wow, you have an interesting family history to say the least.
ReplyDeleteHi. I love your blog. I miss Hawai and would like to visit there.
ReplyDeleteI have the deepest respect for you and your family: your grandfather serving the leprosy colony and your mother living there, then you and Art running and walking such a long distance.
ReplyDeleteThank you for being an example to me. I haven't been out of my house for over a week now because of the flu, though I feel a lot better now.
Hi Kay!
ReplyDeleteFortune cookies tastes not bad but not good. but we enjoy eat it because they read fortune even if it's not true.
In Japan there are a lot of fortune teller in the street.
I'm not sure they can read the future. but it would be expensive.
so I like something like fortune cookies. because they're inexpensive and it's easy to enjoy it.
by the way thank you very much to put the link of my blog on your blog and to allow putting the link of yours on my blog!
I am sure "Yellowstone National Park" is one of the must go places. I would love to do so regardless of what fortune cookies say!
ReplyDeleteReading this entry somehow made me miss "hot and sour soup", which I cannot find nice one in Japan...
Good luck for your "challenge"!
Yoshi
Found your blog through Sarah the Brit Gal...nice work! I would love to visit Hawaii some day, but not sure I ever will. My Mom has an aunt and uncle that live there, though. I'm a storm chaser in Oklahoma, and you can see my adventures on my blog (www.greenskychaser.com/blog) and chase stories and photos on my website (www.greenskychaser.com). Keep up the good work and have fun on your trips this year!
ReplyDelete