Friday, August 17, 2012

Another House Project!

After reading about blogger Dianne's (Schmidleysscribbling) husband falling down the stairs, it got me worried.  Sally of Retired English Teacher also fell and injured herself badly.


We have 21 steps leading from the 1st to the 2nd floor.  It does sound daunting, but it's good exercise for us too.  Mom used to go up and down the stairs for exercise until she hurt her knees.  We bought her a treadmill so she could walk on a level surface.

It took  21 steps because we built the 2nd floor right over the single level home when we moved to Hawaii.  Art and I needed more space (and privacy) because the configuration of the 1st floor is really appropriate for just one bedroom.


Dianne said it's really a good idea to put hand railings on BOTH sides of the stairs.

Although the bottom part does not have grips, it's got that surface to steady yourself.

We considered calling our master carpenter, Steve to do a matching railing on the other side.  He did such a great job with this (Hawaii building code) wrap around railing when we did the renovation six years ago.


However, guess who decided he could do it himself?

25 comments:

  1. Art can do it, he can do everything.
    Safe landings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good for Art! He'll do great, I just know it!It is a good idea, anyone can lose balance and thats a lot of stairs

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Art is the Handyman of the Century. He CAN do anything. What a wonderful resource. And the stairs do need a railing. Will you be showing us his finished project? (Of course you will!) :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You bet I will. It's still in the process though. I was hoping it would be done for our Cousins Party tomorrow, but there wasn't enough time. It's really a difficult railing to build.

      Delete
  4. Stairs are worrying. Well done, Art:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for Art! I have 14 stairs and I notice I take them differently every day. Luckily the computer is upstairs (forcing me to climb them/ha)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great idea. Coincidentally I just learned this morning that a friend in her early fifties fell down the stairs and broke her elbow. Her daughter had to email us as she couldn't type. And good luck to Art, that is a huge undertaking!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Handrails on both sides is a good idea but will there be enough room widthwise for furniture moving like dressers? Is there a building code for such? Not familiar with big building type projects.

    L. from W.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is something we did think about. However, we've got all our furniture upstairs already anyway, so we're OK with it. There's about 40" of space down the stairs now with the two railings which should fit most furniture so I think we'll be OK. There are strict building codes about stair railings in Hawaii.

      Delete
  8. I must show all the things that Art does to my husband..Art is really very sporting!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck to Art!!! Falling is the primary reason why we install carpeting in our house. As she ages, my mother has fallen on her wooden floor many times, breaking her arms and her back. Very painful for her.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have stairs down to the basement with sturdy rails on both sides. This is an excellent thing to do in your house. Isn't it great to have a handy husband?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! It's definitely wonderful to have a handy husband.

      Delete
  11. Based on past blog entries, I believe Mr. Guess-Who saw a ripe opportunity for another project. It's enough to make me feel a little guilty, although not VERY guilty. I have a son-in-law like that. Whenever he visits, he asks me if I have a project for him. The last one was to build a pen for my Sulcata Tortoise. The project made his day and when he was finished, we kicked back and had a drink while surveying his handiwork and watching the tortoise cavort in her new playpen.

    I am sorry to report that the prevalence of falling in the elderly population is possibly the number one health hazard. Examples abound in my experience and I wouldn't want to get too depressed by recounting all of them. Let me say that you hear about FALLING over and over again should you be a regular visitor to Hale Nani, the alternative living place for the elderly in Honolulu. ---Henry Hank Chapin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is just so scary. I never thought it would happen to me but I've already taken two serious falls. Sigh...

      Delete
  12. Art looks both confident and capable. Have patience.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good idea, since you two aren't getting younger. Henry Hank is correct...lots of falls among folks. Don't try to hold something in one hand instead of using the second railing. Electric chair lifts or little seats can be purchased used instead of new to be installed later. But they always try to sell you a new one first before telling you about their used inventory.

    Just "getting older" isn't a reason to fall. Usually it's from low blood pressure, or skipped heart beats, recovering from surgery or injury, racing to the bathroom...I've seen many face and head injuries from people falling. Nursing research has shown (unbelieveably) that even when a sitter or other person is in the room 24/7 that not all falls are prevented.

    Stay safe! DrumMajor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love the idea of the electric chair lift, but I don't dare mention that to Art right now.

      Delete
  14. you could upholster the whole stairwell and install a slide!


    Aloha from Honolulu
    Comfort Spiral
    =^..^=
    > < } } ( ° >

    ReplyDelete
  15. And he will do a great job, no doubt!

    ReplyDelete
  16. should be a piece of cake for Art judging from the other projects previously posted. To my knowledge, code dictates 1-½ inch space minimum (2-inch max *??*), with returns mandatory at each end of the handrail so clothes don't snag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're absolutely right! It's the returns that are really tricky to do though. Finding all the studs was not a piece of cake either.

      Delete
  17. Too clever is Art. David installed the double rails too. The trick is to use them. Dianne

    PS I ordered the scanner you mentioned in your blog today. I had been intending to scan my slides for some time. Thanks for the post and the tip about the scanner.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Blessings...
    wow...
    well the beauty of the lesson (blowing dust b4 scanning) is that you can redo them, a task sure but it is worth it.

    have a blessed day

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.