While I lived on the mainland for 35 years, I received notices of high school reunions and was secretly relieved that I didn't have to deal with it. I did go to one reunion... was it the 10th? Maybe the 15th? More likely the 20th because I remember I couldn't remember my classmates. If you think my memory was bad then, imagine what it's like now.
Recently I got an e-mail from my high school buddy/college roommate/friend, Joanne with a 45th Reunion attachment asking, "Did you get this? I've been asked to talk to you and Diane about this."
I e-mailed Diane saying Joanne might be going.
Art encouraged me to go, especially since he'd be attending his 50th high school reunion on the exact same day in Hilo.
Diane said she didn't think she'd be going to any of the events.
I considered going with Joanne. Joanne has a steel trap memory. If I stuck by her side she could tell me who everybody was.
Then came another e-mail from Joanne, "Have you thought about it? Diane might go."
What?
So I'm in, ... with a great deal of trepidation. I'm thinking it'll be fun just to be with Diane (if she goes) and Joanne and a few other friends I happen to actually remember. However, it seems as though high school was another life. I packed those memories in a heavy box and tucked it away in the deepest recesses of my brain thinking I would never open it again. It was such an immature, insecure, fun, awkward, happy, uncomfortable, exciting time for me.
Maybe I'm just worried about what I'll find when I open that box again.
Recently I got an e-mail from my high school buddy/college roommate/friend, Joanne with a 45th Reunion attachment asking, "Did you get this? I've been asked to talk to you and Diane about this."
I e-mailed Diane saying Joanne might be going.
Art encouraged me to go, especially since he'd be attending his 50th high school reunion on the exact same day in Hilo.
Diane said she didn't think she'd be going to any of the events.
I considered going with Joanne. Joanne has a steel trap memory. If I stuck by her side she could tell me who everybody was.
Then came another e-mail from Joanne, "Have you thought about it? Diane might go."
What?
So I'm in, ... with a great deal of trepidation. I'm thinking it'll be fun just to be with Diane (if she goes) and Joanne and a few other friends I happen to actually remember. However, it seems as though high school was another life. I packed those memories in a heavy box and tucked it away in the deepest recesses of my brain thinking I would never open it again. It was such an immature, insecure, fun, awkward, happy, uncomfortable, exciting time for me.
Maybe I'm just worried about what I'll find when I open that box again.

I wouldn't be a good person to ask because even if my school had reunions, I probably wouldn't go. I loved your old school photo.
ReplyDeleteI can relate to your "other life" feeling. This year was 50 years since I graduated from high school. I haven't seen or talked to anyone from that era since we graduated. I have exchanged a few e-mails with one. If anyone celebrated it, I didn't hear about it. I hope if you open that box again that you will find something good.
ReplyDeletewell I went to my 45th reunion and knew few. it was in california and I moved away after graduation to utah and other places. would have liked to have seen my teachers but they were gone. never bothered to go back for the 50th. i too was shy in hs. it is fun to see how much others have changed-I would go since you live so close now...lol!
ReplyDeleteYou didn't mention one other very good reason for going: blog fodder! Think how interesting it would be to take pictures and compare them with the "before" variety. You certainly would look good doing the same thing. You are so pretty, and you were back then, too.
ReplyDeleteI went to my 10th reunion (which was OK) and the 20th (which I didn't enjoy). I chose to pass on the 30th, but now regret it. I've heard that people get more relaxed and friendly the older and farther removed they get from high school, so I think you should go. Besides, I agree with DJan--imagine the blog posts you could get!
ReplyDeleteI have never been to a high school reunion (never even got any info about them), but my 50th is coming in a couple of years and I think I want to go. I'm not sure why because I really didn't think high school was all that great.
ReplyDeleteWell, gosh, you're close enough now to go, and leave if you don't like it. I thought folks were supposed to wear name tags. I think you're much prettier now than your high school photo. You'd amaze any guys that you ignored in high school. How many were in your graduating class?
ReplyDeleteThere were 1,000 in my class, ('72) so I don't go to class reunions. Back in '85, we did have a reunion of just band buddies spanning over 3 years of classes, because band was made up of all 3 grade-levels' worth of students who were in band. We were top in the state for marching and concert for 2 years! That was a fun reunion, where we brought our old band director back to Oklahoma from Alaska! We were all still onery and goofy. I wasn't one of the twirlers, but one of two mean drum majors with the big metal baton and whistle. We were sharp and did military-style marching. Performances are all curly and wimpy now. DrumMajor
I don't go to reunions - why would I go to meet people I've not been in contact with since the last time I saw them. However, as Anonymous/Drum Major says, you could always go and leave if it doesn't suit but I suspect you will go and have a very good time as well as collecting enough material for several blog posts - you have the happy knack of enjoying everything that comes your way:-)
ReplyDeleteGee Kay, between this and the bike trip memories, you seem to be going through some difficult looking-back.
ReplyDeleteSure you have to go. Good luck.
Gosh, your school photo looks just like mine. I guess we all had the same hair-do, sweater, and necklace back then.
I didn't go. Everyone I cared about was no longer alive. The organizers were so insistant I finally decided they needed to sell tickets. But if you know someone, go. That would be fun, with old friends.
ReplyDeleteI don't go to reunions obviously....the 10 year was an almost, but since then no....
ReplyDeleteHave fun!
L. from W.
David and I have been to several class reunions over the years (his and mine). We have signed up for his 45th reunion at the Hale Koa in September. We always leave when the loud band plays, because we don't like loud music. Lol.
ReplyDeleteHope you have fun. We stopped attending reunions a while back--too many old people there.
ReplyDeleteSchool , college or university reunions aren't common here in the UK, for which I thank my lucky stars. I'm afraid I would dream of going if there were any, I have enough problems talking with people I may have met in the last few years, I'd be completely tongue tied with people I haven't met for fifty odd years. But if you fancy going have a great time.
ReplyDeleteso glad you will attend, can't wait to hear about it. Although I would be wary of attending also!
ReplyDeleteI went to my 20, 30, and 40-year reunions and enjoyed them. I went to a small rural high school, however, so there were only 50 of us in the graduating class. But the reunion committee always consisted of the same women, those who still lived in town, and I don't think they're up for putting on a 50-year reunion next year.
ReplyDeleteHowever, I've been invited to the 50-year reunion at a school I didn't graduate from, but attended for what we called "Grade 13" which was equivalent to first-year university. So if I feel like partying next year, I'll have a place to go.
Meanwhile, I think you have a great idea, attending along with your friend with the steel-trap memory. You will be told everyone's name, and she'll mention yours to them, and it will be great fun!
Luv, K
I know of the whereabouts of two of my high school classmates. We scattered all over the place. Our high school no longer exists; the building was torn down long ago due to earthquake damage. I do revisit that area sometimes, which was Daly City, California. Like you, I have my memories!
ReplyDeleteI only went to my 10 year reunion (many years ago)
ReplyDeleteLast fall we had our 45 year reunion and I really didn't want to go. I ended up going because I wanted to see 3 of my girlfriends. Kay, I can't tell you how much fun I had. It was very informal. They rented a nice place, we had finger foods, some brought drinks....we just talked and enjoyed everyone so much. I think when that many years go by, no one is trying to impress anyone and are just thankful to be here!!
You should go!
You don't have to open that box to go. Just go as the person you are now. The way you described yourself in high school actually fits most of us, even the ones who seemed to have it all together.
ReplyDeleteI went to my 50th in June. I don't really know any of those people now, but I had fun anyway. And I was definitely NOT the shy, awkward, too quiet person I was 50 years ago. People noticed.
Will you later regret catching up with your friends?
ReplyDeleteI love the sweet picture of the young girl you were. . .
Aloha from Waikiki-Side, Kay
Comfort Spiral
<(-'.'-)>
> < } } ( ° >
Gosh.... I have no idea. I just feel a little weird, but I think it's something I have to do.
DeleteKay, Last month I have been to my home town to attend my school alumni and I can assure you it was such a wonderful experience to meet all the friends after so many years..I met my friends after 20 years and believe me it seemed as if in these 20 years no body has changed..You will get to enjoy and cherish those moments..try to go and meet ur friends..
ReplyDeleteMy high school graduating class contained 56 people, so I knew everyone. Since hubby and I were in the same class, our class reunions are fun. Our 45th is this year too. Go, you might have a terrific time.
ReplyDeletea few years from now, the reunioners won't remember their own names, much less whether Kay attended or didn't attend.
ReplyDelete